Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Top 25 Coins (Maybe)

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 272 / Views: 32,196Next Topic
Page: of 19
Pillar of the Community

United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2012  10:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dougsmit to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Honoring stevex6's great post with the flattery of imitation, this post intends to show 25 coins from my collection that I consider to be special to me. They vary in many ways. Some were a bit expensive by my standards but most would be beneath the notice of big time dealers; very few were products of junk boxes but one coin being bought for $6. Two of the coins were in my collection in 1963 when I took my first photo (I have no record of when I bought them but I started slowly and had very few coins before 1963 so I assign that date to all the coins in that first photo). One of the 25 was bought this year. Some have been shown on CCF before and I apologize for that. In addition to brief descriptions of the coins, I will try to explain why the coin is special to me. I will not give catalog numbers unless there is something I feel to be gained from that. Perhaps you know I am not impressed by catalog numbers. Those who enjoy looking up coins are welcome to post attributions but there will be a few here you probably won't find. I will be most happy to see you post examples of matching coins for items I state are rare and joyous to see others of coins I believe to be unique.

The 25 may have missed coins I should have included and the order may not be exact since my order of favor can change hourly. I apologize for forgetting coins I have that some will like better than these and doubly apologize for the number of coins of Septimius Severus and Julia Domna (my specialties).

Comments and questions will be appreciated. Lack of them will be taken to suggest that I should not have started this thread. Some seemed to enjoy seeing what stevex6 got in a month so we'll see if you like seeing what I accumulated in the last 49 years. Perhaps I can grow this thread into my top 50 for my 50th anniversary in the hobby? Here goes my least favorite of the 25 as decided by the whim of the moment:
Pillar of the Community
4253 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2012  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking for myself and many others on this forum, I am looking forward to this thread. It should prove most interesting.

Regards,
Pillar of the Community
United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2012  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dougsmit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
#25 Julia Domna, Alexandria billon tetradrachm

#25 may have achieved last place partly because it is one of the most expensive coins I have in this list. I must have paid too much since it came from a 1997 CNG catalog auction and CNG has no reputation for bargains.

For some reason provincials of Alexandria are rare for the Severans and I have seen only a handful of coins for Julia Domna. This is one of the nicer ones. It is dated year 2 (LB on the reverse) making it the earliest I have seen since Alexandria did not fall to Septimius until most of the first year was done. The portrait style is a good match for the Alexandria mint denarii which are rare but not nearly as rare as the tetradrachms. Topping all this is the fact that I really liked the chariot reverse so I bought it. Commodus issued vast numbers of coins from Alexandria so I wonder if part of the reason for the Severans being rare was that the need for circulating coins was well filled by the rulers of the earlier period. Who has a Severan Alexandrian to share? While Julia is rare the really rare coin is the tetradrachm showing Titania (Mrs. Pertinax)currently residing in the British Museum. I'd love to see photos of other examples of that one, too. I have 24 coins I like better than this one but not all will agree.
Learn More...
United States
23658 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2012  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin with excellent detail. Looking for to seeing the next 24 coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
614 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2012  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tzarmarko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Looking toward to the next coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1308 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2012  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also look forward to this thread. If this is your least favorite coin I can only imagine what will be coming.

No Julia Domna's in my collection and more than likely won't be many of the others either.
I know little about ancient coins but will try to post a comment now and then. You might get more questions from me than comments.

Her eyes appear to be closed on this coin. Any reason behind this?
Edited by Doucet
05/09/2012 11:56 pm
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2012  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always enjoy seeing coins with interesting historical details--I'll keep coming back!
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2012  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hermanwilliams to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, looking forward to this.

Pillar of the Community
4253 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2012  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I own six denarii of Julia Domna. She has always fascinated me, and in my imagination, she must have been a very beautiful woman. I too like the reverse on your coin and probably would have been drawn to it because of the reverse.
Pillar of the Community
3352 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2012  02:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"man, that's the ugliest coin that I've ever seen!"

... hahaha, good one, eh? (yah, I've got a million of 'em) ...

Wow dougsmit => awesome effort => I'm so glad to be on the other side of the fence, looking in!!

Great coin!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2153 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2012  02:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jessvc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Julia Domna. I like the portrait on this coin and it's got a nice reverse too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2012  05:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dougsmit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When learning to separate the Alexandria mint denarii by style from the same types from Rome one hint is often the eyes. The die cutters at Alexandria seemed to have trouble with eyes. I had not thought of them as 'closed' as mentioned by Doucet but they are often a bit swollen or clumsy. The other Eastern denarii mints can have odd eyes as well but Alexandria seems to have been worse. This coin is attributed to Alexandria because it matches the long series with reverse dated L + the year numeral. The matching style of denarii were recognized in the 1920's and the resemblence is strong enough that no one has put out a serious challenge to that observation. Alexandria mint denarii were all rare before the normalization of trade with Eastern Europe and the appearance on the market of recent hoards. I suspect the coins were made in Alexandria and shipped in quantity to areas where Septimius had troops to pay so more of them will be found in the Eastern Mediterranean than in Egypt.
Pillar of the Community
3352 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2012  07:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stevex6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Julia Domna (170--217) was a member of the Severan dynasty of the Roman Empire. Empress and wife of Roman Emperor Lucius Septimius Severus and mother of Emperors Geta and Caracalla, Julia was among the most important women ever to exercise power behind the throne in the Roman Empire.

Quote:
Her ancestors were Priest Kings of the famous temple of BaĘżal. The family had enormous wealth and was promoted to Roman senatorial aristocracy.

Quote:
The marriage proved to be a happy one and Severus cherished his wife and her political opinions, since she was very well read and keen on philosophy.

Quote:
When Severus became emperor in 193 he had a civil war waiting for him, against rivals such as Pescennius Niger and Clodius Albinus. Julia accompanied him in his campaigns in the East, an uncommon event in a time when women were expected to wait in Rome for their husbands. Nevertheless, she remained with the emperor and among the several proofs of affection and favour are the minting of coins with her portrait and the title mater castrorum (mother of the camp).

Ooops ... sorry dougsmit, but I had to get that out of my system! (it's been a while => old habits are hard to break) ... I'll try to refrain myself from adding-in too much "history" ...
Edited by stevex6
05/10/2012 07:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2012  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dougsmit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate stevex6 or anyone adding comments or background information that they find interesting and think others might also!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4772 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2012  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is going to be good!
Valued Member
United States
422 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2012  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oxos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with you chrsmat71! This is going to be another great thread!

I knew absolutely nothing about Julia Domna .... until now.

Please add as much history to these coins as possilbe. I love history!

Glad your undertaking this Doug! Very good stuff and a beautiful first coin!
Page: of 19 Previous TopicReplies: 272 / Views: 32,196Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: