Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Modern Coin Would You Hoard?

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 110 / Views: 13,888Next Topic
Page: of 8
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2012  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jwguts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Memo to the US Mint: Please, please, please bring an end to Kennedy half dollars. The years which had no production run, (mint sets only, aka, Not Intended for Circulation or NIFC) would start to appreciate substantially. Specifically, we're talking 1970D, 1987 P&D, and 2002 to present.

I've also been tossing copper pennies into a huge jar for years. I'm guessing there are about 400,000 pennies in there.

I keep all the bicentennial quarters I find, but that is more nostalgia than logic.

2009 pennies and dimes.
Valued Member
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2012  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Roscue2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would probably hoard the 2009 Lincoln pennies. I like the designs on them, but I believe many others are hoarding them as well.
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2012  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Memo to the US Mint: Please, please, please bring an end to Kennedy half dollars.
That could also solve the Dansco album update question.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2012  4:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TenHalves to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Yes ending the Kennedy half series soon would help many of our collections appreciate in value and might generate more interest in commemorative half dollar issues in the future.

Back on topic though from a profit standpoint I think the best answers were those who mentioned holding low mintages and MS65+ coins. Given some time, those are probably guaranteed to have the best return.

Personally I might hoard nickels though, not because there is any money to be made by that, I'd just like to be early for once to the mass coin hoarding party. As soon as the metal composition gets changed by the mint the public will hoard the older Jeffersons.
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2012  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As soon as the metal composition gets changed by the mint the public will hoard the older Jeffersons.
Correction, "As soon as the mint ceases production of the nickel for circulation..." Which I think is more likely.
Pillar of the Community
1028 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2012  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hesgut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would hoard the low mintage early Jeffersons. My impression is that said hoard would have to come from circulation, so I won't be getting a whole lot of BU pieces. I think in the distant future certain circulated semi-key Jeffersons will actually hold real value.
Pillar of the Community
United States
601 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2012  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billymac11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hoard the halves and beg the mint to put an end to the program, going out with a bang (one year design change) in the 50th anniversary year of 2014.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2855 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2012  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
put an end to the program...50th anniversary year of 2014

since a while back I responded to a CCF thread about the possible creation of a Reagen commemorative coin that involved a similar theme.

The intent on my behalf would be to replace this Kennedy half with subject matter relating less to any individual president but more to universally(non politically charged) accepted and appreciated USA themes:

equality, freedom, the USA as a recognized top leader of some of the most of innovative and creative ideas/inventions...

It is my belief that:

Democrats, for example, should never have to look at and hold any coin stamped with any Republican presidential figure their entire lives

AND equally

Republicans should never have to look at and hold any coin stamped with any Democratic presidential figure for the rest of their lives etc...

In summary does an interactive polling location exist where interested parties can express their opinions to Congress insofar as the elimination of this particular Kennedy presidential half when the 50th anniversary rolls around in January of 2014?

mdpmedia

Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2012  3:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
put an end to the program...50th anniversary year of 2014
I like it.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2012  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TenHalves to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Great idea billymac, that would be a perfect end to the series.
Valued Member
United States
110 Posts
 Posted 11/25/2012  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Addict to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've thoroughly enjoyed this thread and included many commentators suggestions to my perpetual want list.

I've been hoarding copper cents and all nickels. I buy a few rolls of nicks every week or so and am known as the eccentric nickel guy at our local credit union. I'm finding fewer and fewer copper cents in pocket change. I'm guessing they'll go the way of the wheat back cent in a year or less.

I also snag any mint wrapped BU rolls that I can get my furry paws on. The banks seem to be out of the new coin business, at least around here.
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2012  03:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TooMz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1996 W Roosevelt dimes ;)
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17063 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2012  04:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any scrap silver coin that may have been purchased as part of a job lot, - U.S. or World.
Edited by sel_69l
11/26/2012 04:24 am
Learn More...
United States
87472 Posts
Valued Member
United States
467 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2012  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oober to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2009 copper cents, especially satin. I think these will do good down the road, if not for me, maybe for the kids.
Page: of 8 Previous TopicReplies: 110 / Views: 13,888Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05