Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Day Coloured Quarters 2000-2009

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 10,559Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3690 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2012  8:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone else collect these?

I finally got the 2000 Celebration today to complete the set. Well actually, I don't have the non-coloured moose from 2004 that came with a bundle of stuff including a t-shirt and a water bottle. I'm not sure it really fits with the rest of the series anyway.

They certainly evolved over the years; even changing size and including crayons, tattoos and magnets etc.

I always thought they were pretty interesting coins but other than the first in the series, they haven't really appreciated much and some are available at well below issue price now.

They certainly aren't fine art or even good examples of minting excellence but I think their Canadiana counts for something.

Anyway, thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Valued Member
Canada
68 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2012  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joboman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My dad bought me the 2001 one when I was little.. I've thought about collecting them but the price is a bit of a turn off. They sure are cute though, wouldn't mind having a set if I can find them significantly below issue price.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6671 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are nice looking, but the price is too high for me to get more interested. If they were silver, then I would probably be more apt to collect them. I like to collect coins I believe will appreciate in value. As you said, these are already below issue price.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1354 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin Chick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the 2001 & 2003
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3690 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I broke down and ordered the 2004P Moose last night from a dealer so the set is complete.

The same dealer has most of these coins for 9.95 or less (a couple are $15) but I regularly see them on eBay for less.

I agree Earle42, most of my collection is PM but I still have lots of base metal too. These would have been awesome in silver but I think the marketing target was children so the RCM probably wanted to keep the cost down.

It's worth noting though that the best ROI of any coin I have is not silver but a lowly nickel plated steel quarter with a bird on it from 2007.

But for me, these coins are just about fun and not investment. Some goes for the RCM logo'ed YoYo that I have.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2341 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kuh_85 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got the full set. I wonder why they stopped making them after 2009?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6671 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CC-Ottawa

Quote:
But for me, these coins are just about fun and not investment.

Friends and FUN are what a hobby is all about. I aplaud the RCM for coming up with stuff like this - I really liked the Bigfoot quarter (well - the CONCEPT!) - but again, a bit steep for me to put out since it is base metal. Had it not been cartoonish, but a picture of the famous Bigfoot shot of it walking, then I probably would have gotten it

I applaud the RCM for pioneering the movement to make coins more fun and more varied. The only thing I don't like about it is that I feel when too many new designs are out there, it makes what was once special not as special. I loved the change in 1967 of the rabbit nickel, wolf half, etc. But now that there are so very many different designs out there to collect, these have lost some of their special appeal. However, the other side of this is that there are a lot more cool looking things to collect!

The things I have bought from the RCM tend to be like the 2011/1911 Silver dollar (missed the sets and see they are coming down on ebay , and the RP Maple Leaf with the Fab 15 privy mark (shipped to the States through a friend). I also could not resist the 2008 triangular blue half dollar with the cow on it! Who ever would have thought something like that would ever be made?

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Learn More...
Canada
9374 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  4:02 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is a neat, thematic coin set. Is the 2009 coin painted on a design, or is it simply just a painted coin like the other 2009 25c "special coins"?
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3690 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like we're on the same page Earle42.

I got the Sasquatch at issue and recently, Canada Post was selling it for 25 or 40% off (I forget which). Still expensive but I have the other two in that series so....

I also have the 2011 silver dollar and the special edition proof set for which I paid a little too much on eBay.

I have two of the Milk Delivery 50 cent 'coins'. I bought one from the Mint and the other from a dealer at 60% off issue. I really like that coin but apparently, it's not really very popular. I plan to find the other triangle coin - the guitar pick - someday.

The RCM really have a shotgun approach to coin themes but thankfully haven't gone as far as putting motorcycles and modern cars (save the Bricklin) on coins yet like some other mints have done. I prefer they stick with historical significance, flora and fauna with a few fun items mixed.
Edited by CC-Ottawa
08/10/2012 4:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3690 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  4:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CC-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is the 2009 coin painted on a design, or is it simply just a painted coin

I believe that it is just painted on the coin as there doesn't appear to be a design stamped on the coin first.

It is a large coin though at 35mm compared to just 23.88mm for the others in the series.

The '09 was much more cartoonish than the first coins and that may have been the downfall of the series. In fact, it seems from '05 onward, the coins slide down a slope in that direction.

The mintages seem to follow that same slope...

2000 - 26,106
2001 - 96,352
2002 - 49,901
2003 - 63,511
2004 - 44,752
2005 - 58,370
2006 - 30,328
2007 - 27,743
2008 - 11,538
2009 - 11,091
Edited by CC-Ottawa
08/10/2012 4:31 pm
Learn More...
Canada
9374 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2012  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2003 is, by far, my favourite of the series...
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Canada
4 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2019  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have all but the 2000 Celebration and the 2009.
I can't seem to find these anywhere - especially at a good price.
any ideas?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8181 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2019  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You didn't look in the right place.
10 seconds to find this.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8181 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2019  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2009 is a huge beast, not the size of a quarter, I wouldn't consider it part of the series.
I'm sure you'll find at least one of those on ebay as well.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
United States
906 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2019  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off, it's nice to see some old postings 'wake up', especially when they are still relative.

Quote:
I can't seem to find these anywhere - especially at a good price.////I'm sure you'll find at least one of those on ebay as well.
I'm also still looking for the 2009 version. Yes, there is ONE listed on eBay right now, but at double it's listed price, and $25 more than I'm willing to pay. I've bought all the other coins in the Canada Day set under suggested prices, and am in no hurry to pay extra for the last one.
It's true that the large size of the 2009 does separate it from the others, but it's still a quarter, so it's on my want list. The 2009 Canada Day coin is one of the 28 I still need to complete my 'special' quarter set; which stands at 191 coins at this point (five added this year). I don't really care much for the majority of them, but I'm stuck with the 'gotta-get-em'-all' disease.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4786 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2019  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't really care much for the majority of them, but I'm stuck with the 'gotta-get-em'-all' disease.

I have the same disease when it comes to Canada's 36mm NCLT commemorative silver dollars. Fortunately, I like (or am at least OK with) most of the designs!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
09/08/2019 9:53 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 10,559Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05