Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1926-39 Oregon Trail "Cousin"

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 12,318Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6738 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2012  9:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In previous posts, I discussed two "cousins" to the coins of the classic commemorative series, the 1925 Norse-American Centennial medals http://goccf.com/t/120080) and the 1938 Sweden 2 Kronor for the 300th Anniversary of New Sweden http://goccf.com/t/126179). Tonight, I thought I'd present a third item that was promoted alongside the US commemorative coins of the day -- the 1935 Pony Express Diamond Jubilee Memorial Medal.

As part of the celebrations planned for the 75th anniversary of the 1860 launch of the Pony Express service, the Oregon Trail Memorial Association engaged the Coin Department of the Scott Stamp & Coin Company of New York City to strike the "official memento of the Pony Express Diamond Jubilee." The Oregon Trail Memorial Association was the sponsor of the Pony Express Diamond Jubilee.

Read More: Commems Collection

The Jubilee ran from 3 April to 24 October 1935 and featured a "re-ride" of the original Pony Express trail in August. The original 1966-mile trail had its eastern terminus in St. Joseph, Missouri and its western terminus in Sacramento, California. The re-ride was completed by approximately 300 members of the Boy Scouts (the Boy Scouts of America, coincidentally, was celebrating its 25th anniversary in 1935). The riders carried mail addressed to US President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, an avid stamp collector, which was given to him after the ride in a ceremony on the White House lawn in Washington, DC.

The medal was struck in nickel-silver (i.e., nickel) and is 1.25 inches in diameter. The medal's obverse features a Pony Express rider in full gallop out on the trail, while the reverse depicts one of the many relay stations that were set up along the route so that riders could change horses, get food and water or get some rest if it was the end of their shift. It was designed by William Henry Jackson, the Research Secretary of the Oregon Trail Memorial Association.

The medal was sold for 25 cents which was noticeably less than the prices charged for the Association's commemorative half-dollars at the time. Commenting on the lower selling price for the medal vs. the prevailing prices of the coins, Howard Driggs, President of the Oregon Trail Memorial Association, stated that the Association "felt that these [coin] prices often excluded many from acquiring the commemorative mementoes and accordingly it was decided to price the official medal...at 25 cents, thus making it available to every boy who revels in western lore as well as to his parents." Funds raised from the sale of the medals was to be used to support the making and placing of markers along the Pony Express trail (similar to one of the intended purposes for the funds raised by sale of the commemorative half-dollars -- markers along the original Oregon Trail).

For a number of years after their issue, the Pony Express medal was often advertised alongside the commemorative coins, seemingly as a "must have" for collectors of the coin series. The medals must have been struck in fairly large number as they remain available today at very reasonable prices for uncirculated specimens.

Enjoy!

1935 Pony Express Diamond Jubilee Memorial Medal -- Obverse

1935 Pony Express Diamond Jubilee Memorial Medal -- Reverse

Oregon Trail Memorial Half-Dollar -- Obverse

Oregon Trail Memorial Half-Dollar -- Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
08/12/2012 9:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7337 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2012  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I truly wish that all of your wisdom, insight and tremendous collection were complied in a book ...

Said book would form the foundation of many collectors efforts to begin the pursuit of the tremendous ephemera that you have managed to so well collect, display and discuss.

Another tremendous post commems ... adding again to my interest in going 'beyond the coins' and pursuing the related materials.

I note with appreciation your influence on me when I was perusing the Philly ANA bourse ...

As a result of your kind sharing I was generally aware of the nature of the related commemorative ephemera ... and came across many examples at the Philly show.

Best was a Robert Aitken Pan-Pacific medal ... Gold ... NGC MS65 holder. I did not purchase it ... but truly would not have even noticed it without your support to raise my awareness of the possibilities.

Your valued wisdom and insightful posts are having a positive influence on many of us ...

Looking forward to the compilation of all that you have shared ... book ... booklet ... pamphlet ... whatever.

Many Thanks.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3466 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2012  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I applaud you, commems, for such an informative and creative post. "cousins" is precisely the correct title. Two coins, or a coin and a medal, commemorating the same or related topic, casts yet another look at our shared hobby.
When a collector does not limit himself to what another dictates, he or she is left free to explore "outside of the box" so to speak.
For myself, an avid devotee to the Barber dimes series, I recently acquired an elongated Barber dime from the Colombian Exposition of 1893. Made just a year prior, it
evokes a story of a person, of means no doubt, taking a bright and shiny dime out of his pocket and submitting it to the machine.
While I have no interest in elongated Indian Heads from the same Fair, I have been searching since for an elongated "V" Nickel to go along with my Barber Nickel collection.
They are not at all inexpensive.
Lastly, you write very well.

Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2012  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the Oregon design, but after seeing the medal I honestly cant pick a favorite
Pillar of the Community
United States
7911 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2012  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Speaking of cousins, what would you think of this ? I love it and think it would go great with the 1892-93 Columbians...

Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2012  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great read and most interesting. And about two items I have in my collection also.
Thanks for posting yet another great topic on commems
Learn More...
United States
106425 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7911 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2012  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now I'm gonna have to get a Pony Express...

edited to add.....I got one !

Edited by 52Raymo
08/14/2012 12:37 pm
Learn More...
United States
106425 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7911 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2012  1:36 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gotta love eBay !
Pillar of the Community
United States
7911 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2012  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got my Pony Express today and they did a switch on me.
Not happy but I will give them a chance to explain before I hit them with bad juju.
Learn More...
United States
106425 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7911 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2012  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They sent a totally different coin than pictured.
Learn More...
United States
106425 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2012  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was what I was afraid of.

I hope they make it right!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7911 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2012  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just going to keep it. It's not worth sending it back since I only paid 6.36 for it. He's playing dumb..." I thought they were all the same ". He doesn't have any negative feedback and he thinks I'm being rude asking why he did a switch on me.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 08/16/2012  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the bright side its only 6.36. I agree for that little its not worth the return postage since of course if you dont buy tracking heck probably claim he never got it. Feel free to post the ebay ID so we know to stay away
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 12,318Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: