Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Most We've Ever Spent On A Single Coin

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11933 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2012  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe once you spend at a certain level it sort of gets easier.

In Feb 2011 I bought a NGC XF-45 1909_S VDB Lincoln cent.

Then I bought a F-12 1914 D Lincoln and F/VF 1909 S Lincoln

Since I went that far, I thought may as well stop putting
off the gold page for my 7070.
Since December I bought a 1927 $20.00 gold, a 1904 $20.00
a 1885 $10.00, plus a $5.00 Liberty and both $2.50 gold.

Starting to think this coin collecting is cutting into my silver dime hoarding.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2012  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since I don't really keep those kind of records, I believe (!) this was the coin that cost me the most, 1787 British shilling:

In general I never paid more than $100 for a single coin, although a few coins in my collection should be worth quite a bit over that.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GRR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$90 for a nice 1853-O $1 gold piece.
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  01:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I hope there is no CCF penalty for those of us who have worked hard on paying for our own education, dedicating untold hours to professional growth, kept the nose to the grindstone over a long career ... and as a result have achieved some level of financial security?

The "CCF penalty" in this matter would be me personally vaporizing the member who made something like this in any way an issue. Your stunning woodwork alone is likely capable of financing some nice acquisitions, leaving your working income to support your family. Whatever number of pennies you've been blessed with to throw at coins, you've earned every single one of them.

Me?

$350 in NGC 63. Yes, I flipped it and yes, I made a pretty decent profit. Even after cracking it; being a half-decent photographer has it's rewards.

Number two:

Bought at Philly earlier this month, for a somewhat smaller number. This specific issue is a bit of a personal specialty, and the one here is the first Mint State example I've owned. They get pricey in Mint State. Yes, I'm going to flip it and, as liquid as they are in the market, yes, I'm going to make a profit.
Learn More...
United States
16356 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  01:13 am  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
$350 in NGC 63. Yes, I flipped it and yes, I made a pretty decent profit.

You just had to show me that coin again Dave...

ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2825 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Although I hate to admit this back in 2007 I paid $ 750 for a NGC slabbed MS-65 2007 John Adams smooth edge $1 on EBay.

At the time this price was extremely competitive.

Unfortunately, the price on this coin has dropped like a rock to half of its original value over the five years since I purchased it.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4916 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  02:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
being a half-decent photographer has it's rewards.

Don't kid yourself SuperDave. "A Half-Decent photographer"?

You're an AMAZING coin photographer!

Don't be so humble.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2825 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  03:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

with the above statement especially since I have now seen the equipment, operator (SsuperDdave), and excellent photographic results in person working together at the Philly Coin show earlier this month.

Dave unselfishly devoted(donated) a 'lot' of his time at the CCF booth with this equipment at this show assisting visitors with various photographic endeavors.

mdpmedia
Learn More...
United States
84230 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Quote:
being a half-decent photographer has it's rewards.
Calling Dave a half-decent photographer would be like calling the Beatles a half-decent band.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4758 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oooooh... Show & Tell!

Well, as Nickelsearch mentioned, after paying for my own education, dedicating untold hours to professional growth, keeping the nose to the grindstone over a long career and putting away a tidy sum for my son's college education, I have finally achieved enough financial security to purchase some decent coins. Aside from the two $20 gold pieces I bought to fill my 7070 album, here are the coins I spent the most on at various coin shows (probably all in the $200-400 range). I don't have exact numbers, since I bought them in batches of coins and negotiated a price for each batch.

And there are these two that I bought from APMEX last December for $279.99 and $299.99, respectively:

[I was making a year-end purchase of silver and figured my wife wouldn't notice mind if I added them to the shopping cart...]

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Night Hawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most I ever paid for a single coin was $380 for a 1909 S Indian Head cent in AU, my g/f at the time went ballistic when she found out what I paid but I think I did ok.

Other then that I've never paid more then $150 for a coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  2:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Too much sometimes, but I love every one of them, and I regret NOTHING!!

I can't divulge the actual prices I have paid since most of my coins end up on JBuck's "Guess The Price Contest" and I don't want to give anyone an unfair advantage!!

Quote:

Edited by Moe145
08/31/2012 2:18 pm
Learn More...
United States
84230 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can't divulge the actual prices I have paid since most of my coins end up on JBuck's "Guess The Price Contest" and I don't want to give anyone an unfair advantage!!
I get nervous when I see that you have posted in this thread.
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lincsus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$320 for 10 ounce Australian dragon coin. It was such a pleasure looking at the coin when it arrived that I instantly bought a second one for another 320 dollars.
Learn More...
Australia
13298 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2012  8:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't broken the AU$1000 barrier for a single coin yet, but for two US gold double-eagles (bought back when gold was much cheaper) and for a Belgian Federation 1790 silver florin, I have come awfully close to that mark.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05