Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Buying Older Wheat Cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,194Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2012  02:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Igleos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am getting to the point where I am unable to find wheat cents in rolls that will go into my albums. Good places to buy wheat cents at?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10494 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2012  02:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You, my friend, have just experienced the harsh reality of the law of diminishing returns. That unfortunate point in time when you realize it's too costly and/or time-consuming to buy enough rolls and search them to find the tricky ones you're looking for. Happens to baseball card set collectors all the time.

eBay is probably your best bet, depending on what you're looking for. Local coin shops are good bets too... and when you have enough posts on this forum, you can buy from members here! There's a darn good chance that multiple members have multiples of what you're seeking. Good luck!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34095 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2012  04:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one place. I have heard this is a good site but have not bought from them myself. http://pennies.com/
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
3268 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2012  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would buy from here (auction and buy it now listings) and
through the members websites here (member ecrater listings).
Check out copper coins website and check with bad thad, vermontensium, and others
who will get you what your looking for.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1087 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2012  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stud722 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Local coin shops may also be an option
264 Countries and Counting!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1795 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2012  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadToTheBone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heed all of their advice because that is the new reality in trying to find wheat cents. Plus many people still save them because of the copper in them that makes them worth more than face value. Not much but still worth a bit more.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2448 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2012  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They've gotten rare alright. I used to find 10-15% of the rolls searched to be LWC's. Not anymore. I'm lucky to find 3 % now.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1704 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2012  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gyrene7483 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are looking for average circulated coins for your albums then a local coin shop is your best bet for the inexpensive common dates. Once you develop a relationship with a local coin dealer then he would be likely to sell you the better dates at a discount under his regular price. eBay and other websites would work for the better dates/mints but finding the semi key dates in the lower grades isn't going to be as easy as the higher priced low mintage issues.

By patronizing a local coin shop you have the opportunity to talk to the dealer face to face and ask questions about grading and other things you might want to know about collecting coins.

Ed
ANA LM-3175
Pillar of the Community
United States
2760 Posts
 Posted 09/20/2012  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All other suggestions are great.

As for seeking coins from other members, you can go here: http://goccf.com/c/8
You are more than qualified to put up a wanted list. You will be amazed at what trading w/ other members can do to your collection.

I personally have quite a few of LWC in various grade that I like to trade for other stuffs.
'Pytellc': I am still waiting for my $50 world coins from you, Mr. Carson Pytell!

*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade. - My coins for sale - Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2012  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WJeeda to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm another guy trying to find wheat cents also...I have more than a few, but it's always fun going through new (old) ones. I searched on Google for a good buying place, but the best place I found was wheat-cents.com, and even though I went to pennies.com, I couldn't find it in the first few pages of results. Also, wheat-cents.com for 5 lb, approx 750 coins, including shipping ($7.87) it costs 10.4 cents per penny. On pennies.com, for 500 pennies (10 rolls), with shipping included (6.69), it costs about 13.34 cents per penny...I'd say that's a nice size difference. Did not find any reviews, however, so not sure about that. I may buy 5 lbs from wheat-cents.com - but a question, if wheat pennies were all but into a bag, couldn't it bring down the value of some pennies, since they would be rubbing on each other, rather than rolls? Hopefully I can just put this in here without another topic post.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,194Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05