Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2.5x2.5 Cardboard Flips

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2012  01:10 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Igleos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I wanted to start a type album set in a binder because I am not satisfied with my intercept shield type album and dansco is not updated. I found out that A.S.E dollar coins do not fit in the 2x2 holders. Should I make a type album using 2.5x2.5 cardboard flips or use something else. I would also want to use a 4 ring binder. Opinions?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1374 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2012  01:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Drsandman2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In my opinion, don't use cardboard flips. Having all those staples around your coins will not bode well in the long run... at some point you will have an accident. I recommend the PVC free plastic flips.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32635 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2012  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think as long as you flatten the staples I foresee no problems. I think the coin moves around too much in a flip.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3167 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2012  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add noahs-numismatics to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with john, 2x2 cardboards all the way!
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2012  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add COMET to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best protection would be the Intercept Shield or Airtites. You risk damaging or toning them by putting them in cardboard flips
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2012  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Night Hawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the smaller coins (anything smaller then a half) I'd recomend using the 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 cardboard flips, you get more coins on each page with those.

And as John1 said, be careful when stapling them. I've used the cardboard flips for years and have never had a problem.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1388 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2012  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add allranger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to ask why not just put most of your coins in the 2x2's and then put the larger coins in the 2.5x2.5's? That is what I do. I can't really see you having a type set in a 2.5x2.5 folder. All those dimes, small cents, etc. take up so little of the crown size holder they would probably look a little funny in them.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32635 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2012  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't like the term cardboard flips,i think of flips as the clear Mylar/plastic holders and the cardboard ones as the kind you staple. Just for thought,they did/do? make self adhesive 2x2 cardboard holders.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
10/08/2012 5:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3167 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2012  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add noahs-numismatics to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah they make self adhesive ones, but I've never used them because they cost more and for some reason I'm paranoid that the glue will get on the coin. I could be wrong though, it might to even do anything to the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
7096 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2012  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yeah they make self adhesive ones, but I've never used them because they cost more and for some reason I'm paranoid that the glue will get on the coin. I could be wrong though, it might to even do anything to the coin.

I consider the risk of glue damage very minor compared to the damage that can be done by a steel staple dragged across a coin, I only use self adhesive flips because they have zero risk of staple damage and they look sooo much nicer than the crappy staple Jobbie's.

To the OP's original question,
Yes they do still make 2.5 x2.5 flips and the albums that hold them.
The albums are hard to get hold of in Aus and a fellow member in the US has kindly sent me one for my collection of over sized coins.
Cheers Fuzzy
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19171 Posts
 Posted 10/08/2012  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you use the 2x2 cardboad flips and those 20 slotted plastic pages made for a 3 ringed standard note book, it is one of the better choices. And you do not have to use staples. Actually those slots are so tight, no staples are really necessary. They are held in so tight, staples would make little difference. IF you wanted to seal the edges, use clear 3M tape. I've checked with the manufacturers of 3M and they assured me there is nothing in the tape that oculd effect coins. HOWEVER, not to say they are liars, the way I see tape is the sticky stuff on them must dry and anything that dries, emits something, somewhere.
If you use the clear plastic flips, and put them in those same 20 slotted pages, again, you would not need staples or tape or glue or anything.
Also, if you check into cardboard flips, you would see they are made in 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 inch, 2 x 2 inch and those 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 inch sizes. Remember that those 20 slotted plastic pages will not house the larger sized ones.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3167 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2012  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add noahs-numismatics to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good point carl, I did that a while ago, but now I am using pages that the slots are much to large to keep coins tight w/out staples (only cause I got a whole bunch for really cheap). I think one page holds 10 coins of so-yes eventually will be a storage issue, but I`m ok for now :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05