Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

So Let Me Get This Right...(2009 Lincoln Cent Question)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 3,506Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3268 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2012  12:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
If I buy a 2009 mint set I'll be getting 95% copper cents?
Also do the 2009 proof sets contain cents that are copper or zinc?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3073 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2012  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yotie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coppers with the proofs as well
Pillar of the Community
United States
863 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2012  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silvercoinrn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why are the 2009 sets copper?
Valued Member
United States
154 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2012  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sheeptotherescue to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I'm not mistaken, it's to replicate the material pennies were minted with when Lincoln was alive.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11937 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2012  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The alternate composition was authorized under Public Law 109-145, which also provided for the redesign of the Lincoln Cent. With regards to composition, the law provides for the issuance of one cent coins "with the exact metallic content as the 1-cent coin contained in 1909 in such number as the Secretary determines to be appropriate for numismatic purposes." The US Mint has stated that these 95% copper (bronze) versions would be included "in the United States Mint's annual product offerings."

I had to do a net search ...this is what I came up with.
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2012  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the reason they are copper is it was to celebrate the 100th year of the Lincoln Cent so they brought back the same composition. It was also to celebrate 200 years from the Birth of Lincoln
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11478 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2012  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, so both unc and proof (and, I suppose) silver proof sets have the 95% copper cents. Is there a way to get a 2009 zinc cent in some sort of mint set?

P.S. Someone might want to update the title of this topic to indicate that it's about 2009 Lincolns.
Learn More...
United States
112450 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2012  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a way to get a 2009 zinc cent in some sort of mint set?
No.

Other than circulation, the 2009 zinc cents were available by the roll from the mint.

Quote:
P.S. Someone might want to update the title of this topic to indicate that it's about 2009 Lincolns.
Done.
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2012  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I guess I learned something. I have a few 2009 Proof cent sets
and according to the paper work these copper cents were only
in Set from the U.S. mint and only offered in Proof sets.
Live and learn. Thanks for the info
Pillar of the Community
United States
4897 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2012  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amida17 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To add to the confusion there are 20 different types of 2009 cents. The mint set coppers are satin finish...

-2009 Philadelphia copper-plated zinc Lincoln Birth Year cent
-2009 Philadelphia copper satin-finish Lincoln Birth Year cent (in mint sets)
-2009 Denver copper-plated zinc Lincoln Birth Year cent
-2009 Denver copper satin-finish Lincoln Birth Year cent (in mint sets)
-2009 San Francisco proof Birth Year cent (copper)
-2009 Philadelphia copper-plated zinc Lincoln Formative Years cent
-2009 Philadelphia copper satin-finish Lincoln Formative Years cent (in mint sets)
-2009 Denver copper-plated zinc Lincoln Formative Years cent
-2009 Denver copper satin-finish Lincoln Formative Years cent (in mint sets)
-2009 San Francisco proof Formative Years cent (copper)
-2009 Philadelphia copper-plated zinc Lincoln Professional Life cent
-2009 Philadelphia copper satin-finish Lincoln Professional Life cent (in mint sets)
-2009 Denver copper-plated zinc Lincoln Professional Life cent
-2009 Denver copper satin-finish Lincoln Professional Life cent (in mint sets)
-2009 San Francisco proof Professional Life cent (copper)
-2009 Philadelphia copper-plated zinc Lincoln Presidency cent
-2009 Philadelphia copper satin-finish Lincoln Presidency cent (in mint sets)
-2009 Denver copper-plated zinc Lincoln Presidency cent
-2009 Denver copper satin-finish Lincoln Presidency cent (in mint sets)
-2009 San Francisco proof Presidency cent (copper)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11478 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2012  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, amida17. I recall the satin finishes and also seem to recall a thread with some pictures contrasting the differences. I looked quickly but couldn't come up with the topic - anyone have a link to that?

Are there any standard albums that take into account all 20 varieties?

@jbuck - thanks!
Valued Member
United States
366 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2012  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Windycity to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be darned... I did not know that. Learned something new today and it's only 8am!!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20684 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2012  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are there any standard albums that take into account all 20 varieties?

Not sure if any have made those yet but you could always do as I did.

I simply took a blank page and those sheets of Gold looking press on leters/numbers from Whitman and made my own. Problem is no letters to make plated so had to use clad. All 20 now in all my Albums.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
112450 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2012  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Learned something new today and it's only 8am!!
You should expect big things today.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 3,506Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: