Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Wanting To Submit To NGC

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,367Next Topic  
Learn More...
Canada
9261 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2012  8:48 pm Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
With the price of error grading escalating to higher levels with PCGS, and my general disappointment with CCCS, for certifying errors in hard slabs, I am debating sending my error coins to NGC.

Are there any Canadians here, who as collectors, submit regularly to NGC? Any advice regarding customs and shipping?
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
475 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2012  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 54dollarcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
see my comments on the Canadian forum...........cheers
Canada
49 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mariash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What Canadian forum? I have questions regarding Grading in USA, as a Canadian resident.

1) CUSTOMS: what value to declare for Customs? I don't know the value of my coin which is a good reason why I want to have it graded. If the shipment is intercepted by Canadian customs on it's way back, will I have to show proof of ownership? I don't have a receipt of purchase for my coins. They were inherited (in bulk, not itemized) by my Dad 20 years ago (from his aunt that may have bought the coins anytime between 1960 and 1985...) and he gave me the collection about 10 years ago.

2) INSURANCE: let's say I think the coin is valued 100$ but TPG evaluates higher grade/rarity which makes the value 2000$. So my shipment is insured for 100$ going out... is it insured for 2000$ coming back?

I have gone over the TPG websites over and over and I think my questions are too obvious for them to specify on their website. My inexperience here is at fault. I have seen ICCS and CCCS websites, but they are unclear as to costs of grading and I do like how the american websites have pictures of their operations (and I like their holders...). Also, canadian sites, I think, do not offer conservation or restoration services. I have haze on my coins which I think may be worth to have removed...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8099 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are these Canadian coins?
If so you must have some very valuable coins.
Have you really done your research?
By the time the smoke clears, and you pay insurance, taxes,border fees, and shipping, you are looking at a cost of more than $50 per coin to submit to NGC.
About 5 times more costly than ICCS or CCCS in bulk.
If you want the haze removed you can triple that.
Why NGC? When it comes time to sell your coins will get a lower price than PCGS or ICCS. NGC does not do well at grading Canadian coins, they are not so well respected in the market place.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
08/09/2020 11:13 am
Canada
49 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mariash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are all Morgan silver dollars...

Why NGC? I read a few threads that said it made less errors and was more trusted... But I guess opinions on who is best will vary from time to time. I also liked that they won't go through with conservation if it is "not worth it..." (definition of such not explained)... But I have to admit I always liked PCGS's look and website better.

I'm not ready to send out tomorrow, anyhow, still trying to wade through info... I was thinking maybe sending just one and see how I feel about the results. Foremost on my mind right now is to do what is best "for the coins". Since I they may have been stored improperly for 20+ years, I want to undo damage if I can (professionally) or at the very least prevent further damage from happening. Secondly only is grading. I have tried to grade on my own, after extensive readings and pics, but it's really hard when you're as inexperienced as I am. I feel I cannot buy or sell unless I really know more about grading and having my coins professionally graded would give me a good basis.

Unless I am totally wrong? I have read that sometimes restoration/conservation efforts might/will take away toning and that collectors prefer to have the coins as they have aged, warts and all, so I may end up with a shiny new coin no one wants...

Is there a mentoring program for noobie collectors? If so, sign me up!

Edited by Mariash
08/09/2020 11:39 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
7419 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok so there are only 3 replies and 2 different things being discussed. SPP, I can't help with customs or shipment as a US citizen and resident.

But, @Mariash,

Quote:
what value to declare for Customs? I don't know the value of my coin which is a good reason why I want to have it graded. If the shipment is intercepted by Canadian customs on it's way back, will I have to show proof of ownership? I don't have a receipt of purchase for my coins. They were inherited (in bulk, not itemized) by my Dad 20 years ago (from his aunt that may have bought the coins anytime between 1960 and 1985...) and he gave me the collection about 10 years ago.

Post it here and ask. People can very easily tell you whether, A), it's worth getting graded, or B), what it's worth.

Quote:
INSURANCE: let's say I think the coin is valued 100$ but TPG evaluates higher grade/rarity which makes the value 2000$. So my shipment is insured for 100$ going out... is it insured for 2000$ coming back?

On the submission form it'll tell you. On the NGC form I have on my desk in front of me right now the basic insurance is $1000 for $24 and $5000 for $30. You choose when you send it in, and if there was a significant discrepancy NGC would likely contact you.

Quote:
They are all Morgan silver dollars...

Why NGC? I rad a few threads that said it made less errors and was more trusted...? I also liked that they won't go through with conservation if it is "not worth it..."... I'm not ready to send out tomorrow, still trying to wade through info...

I was thinking maybe sending the one and see what comes back and how much I end up shelling out.

SPP is citing NGC because it costs 1/3 of what it costs to get specifically error coins graded at PCGS. At PCGS an error coin is $65 is fees while at NGC it's $30 or less. NGC doesn't make more mistakes, it's just less prefered based on the greater market when it comes to high grades, ie they're more lenient.

My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8099 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are in a tough spot.
You must send them south if you want them graded.
There is no economical easy solution.
You have to deal with customs, taxes, and insurance.
Make certain the coin you send is worth your while.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Canada
49 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mariash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What would you do with this coin? It appears to have striations, and haze. There is a tiny line of verdigris at bottom of 8s only visible with loupe. There are a lot of chips or extra metal on star and on darker spots. I tried to figure out VAM, but impossible or new VAM, because its a 1878-S with a broken R, a broken 4th star on one side and a smudged 4th star on the other. Close up, wings look like they had an acid bath...

Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,367Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05