Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1925 Stone Mountain "Cousin"

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 7,043Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2012  9:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The Stone Mountain Confederate Monumental Association was the organization that sponsored and distributed the 1925 commemorative half-dollar that was struck to mark the start of work on the Stone Mountain monument (in 1923) and to honor US President Warren G. Harding who had died in office but under who's administration work on the monument had begun. (See my previous post for more information regarding the half-dollar: http://goccf.com/t/119791)

The primary mission of the Association was to have a fitting and enduring monument that honored the "the valor and self-sacrifice displayed in such boundless measure by the men and women of the South in 1861-65" carved into the granite face of Stone Mountain (outside of Atlanta, Georgia). To support this effort, the Association initiated multiple fundraising efforts in the early 1920s.

Read More: Commems Collection

The first was the "Founders Roll Plan." This was a program that required a $1,000 donation to the Association (quite a large sum in 1923 " the equivalent of over $13,500 in 2012 dollars); a five-year payment plan was available. In exchange for the donation, each benefactor would be "entitled to one of the Memorial Tablets in the Memorial Hall" to be constructed along with the carved monument. Note: The Memorial Hall was never built, but the names of subscribers to the plan were added to the ‘Book of Memory' (see below).

The second program was the "Children's Founders Roll" which was targeted at those under the age of 18. It required a donation of $1.00 in exchange for a bronze medal designed by Gutzon Borglum and struck by Whitehead and Hoag. Children would also receive a certificate of membership in the "Children's Founders Roll" and would "...have the right to have their names enrolled on the Book of Memory, each subscriber on a line to himself or herself and opposite his or her name is inscribed the name of the Confederate soldier, or woman of the Confederacy, selected by the subscriber and to honor whose memory his or her subscription or gift is made."

The third program is likely the one of which US coin collectors are most familiar " the striking of a memorial half-dollar. The idea for the coin did not originate within the Association, however. Harry Stillwell Edwards - a journalist and novelist from Macon, Georgia - presented a plan for a commemorative coin to the Association; it was well-received and soon acted upon. Interestingly, the proposal for the coin was presented to President Calvin Coolidge before it was delivered to Congress. It was only after the Association received Coolidge's endorsement did it proceed through "proper channels" and have the appropriate bills introduced into the House and Senate.

My focus tonight is on the first Children's Founders Roll medal (there are two types). As noted above, it was designed by Gutzon Borglum, the original designer/sculptor of the planned Confederate Monument. The medal was struck in bronze and was octagonal " I wonder if it in any way influenced the octagonal shape chosen for the 1925 Norse-American Centennial medal?

The obverse of the medal depicts General "Stonewall" Jackson, General Robert E. Lee and Confederate States President Jefferson Davis (from left to right) on horseback as per the original design for the Stone Mountain carving. Note that the depiction of Lee and Jackson on the medal is similar but not the same as it is on the half-dollar (not counting the fact that Davis is not seen on the half-dollar).

Inscriptions on the medal's reverse indicate its connection to the Association's Children's Founders Roll and the purpose of the Monument. The manufacturer's name " ‘Whitehead and Hoag' - is seen at the six o'clock position on the reverse.

The medal features eight stars each on the obverse and reverse at each of the octagon's points. The stars, counter to their frequent meaningful use on US commemoratives, do not appear to have any meaningful connection to the South or Confederacy of the Civil War era. The Confederate States of America were originally formed by seven states seceding from the Union (Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, South Carolina and Texas), a number that grew to eleven when Arkansas, North Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia also seceded. I guess the stars just "looked good" in each corner.

Enjoy!

1924 Stone Mountain Association Children's Founders Roll Medal, Type I " Obverse

1924 Stone Mountain Association Children's Founders Roll Medal, Type I " Reverse

1925 Stone Mountain Association Commemorative Half-Dollar " Obverse

1925 Stone Mountain Association Commemorative Half-Dollar " Reverse

Original Plan for Stone Mountain Monument

The quotes included above about the Association's objective and fundraising programs were taken from an address given by Hollins N. Randolph, President of the Stone Mountain Confederate Monumental Association, to the United Daughters of the Confederacy in November, 1924.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2012  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information on the children's medals. I had no idea they were minted.
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2012  11:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add henryjamesbuttons to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
great info..thanks.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2012  04:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Learn More...
United States
14463 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2012  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a couple of the Commemorative Half-Dollars. I wonder if I could find one of those Children's Founders Roll Medals
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2012  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing another huge piece of added-value numismatic history with us.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7744 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2012  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome piece of history!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1339 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2012  7:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add babysitr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful medal,,and Thank You for the history lesson....It's one of those things that we can all pass forward..
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2012  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wonder if I could find one of those Children's Founders Roll Medals

I'm sure that you could.

There are two types of Children's Founders Roll medal, the octagonal medal shown (the Borglum medal) and a later round medal designed by Augustus Lukeman; Lukeman took over work on the monument after Borglum left the project.

The round type is more common than the octagonal, but both can be found -- I purchased each of my medals at mid-sized coin shows.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Learn More...
United States
14463 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2012  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will have to add those to my search list for the next coin show I attend. Either in December or at the FUN show in January.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoyed very much your informative description of the three versions of collectibles available relating to Stone Mountain.

Pleased that my fore-fathers did not contribute the $1000 to be on the "Founders Roll Plan".

Your knowledge of the series is unsurpassed commems ... many thanks for this well researched thread.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  8:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Captain Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another great post on a siers of coins I find myself
liking more and more.
Thank you for again teaching me something I dint know
and for taking the time to share this wil us here at CC
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1411 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2012  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Windchild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Commems!

Another interesting post!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2012  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are killing me! First you get me hooked on commemoratives, now you entice me with the medal cousins. What's next? (Uh oh, I will probably regret asking that!).
Valued Member
United States
386 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2012  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blackjack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still a fool if I don't get one soon. What artistry.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2012  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's next?

Stay tuned! More to come!

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 7,043Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05