Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would Anyone Counterfeit A Straits 1/4 Cent?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 3,622Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
415 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another Straits oddity I found is the coin (left in pic) I had for awhile, when compared to a "genuine" piece the portrait looks slightly "off" ? Am I starting to see things that aren't there ? Sometimes when studying coins I question my sanity.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1544 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  03:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one on the left looks fake for sure.
Malaysia
12 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have this curious forgery in nickel rather than in silver.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1066 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect and catalog fakes & forgeries.
Straits Settlements is certainly included.
I'm sure plenty more exist and are in the hands of others around the world.
My catalogs show the differences between the genuine & fake coins.
Counterfeits are made by persons having varying degrees of skill ranging from comical or absurd to very well done.
I enjoy seeing some coins as pictured in this thread in the hands of others that I recognize as not genuine.
Edited by Albert
08/09/2020 5:19 pm
Malaysia
12 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another curious forgery of Straits Settlements mismatched Obverse $1 1904 with King George VI head. Weight is 19.93g.
Non magnetic. Reeded edge.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1066 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another 1904 fake Straits dollar:

Malaysia
12 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  02:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another attempt altering a genuine 1916 1/4 cent to pass as 10 Cents.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1066 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Albert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice and exactly the kind of fake I enjoy collecting and cataloging as my hobby.
Malaysia
12 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another mismatched forgery Straits 1901 Quarter cents with Edward's rather than Victoria's head.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1860 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  06:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Albert said

Quote:
My catalogs show the differences between the genuine & fake coins.

What catalogs are these, please, Albert?

Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Valued Member
415 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very nice and exactly the kind of fake I enjoy collecting and cataloging as my hobby.

Best part of collecting fakes is that you don't need to worry about authenticity
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1860 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Best part of collecting fakes is that you don't need to worry about authenticity

I'm sorry to disillusion you, but even fakes are counterfeited.
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17266 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen a high quality die struck fake with good luster, of a
1935 Hong Kong (Geroge V) Ten Cents, in silver.
Now, THAT is a problem - the genuine 1935 coins are struck in copper nickel!
The last date for a genuine silver Hong Kong Ten Cents is 1933

I suspect that it is a modern Chinese fake concoction, and not a contemporary fake.
Interesting, because both dates of the genuine coin are common.

Hence, the
Valued Member
415 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm sorry to disillusion you, but even fakes are counterfeited.

Oh cruel Coin Gods, why must you test me so...
Valued Member
415 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another curiosity I found a while back. Looks struck in Nickel but should be Copper. So is this a Genuine Counterfeit, Fake Fake or some other murky classification ?
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 3,622Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05