Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Metal Detected 1891-S Seated Liberty Quarter

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2012  10:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add nwdetectorist to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Metal Detected 1891-s Seated Liberty quarter

Thanks for your input on what a coin like this might be graded at. I am wondering if it would be reasonable to have this coin slabbed with PCGS.

Thanks,

nwdetectorist

Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2012  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am no pro but from what I know your coin is only worth about $35-$45. So grading would cost as much as the coin is worth. In addition it looks like it has been cleaned, if so PCGS will not assign it a grade. Hope this helps. anyone else feel free to correct me, as I am still learning myself. Cory
Edited by cjspearsdog
11/29/2012 11:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5050 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2012  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

This is a terrific find for a metal detector and might just be priceless as a souvenir. However, it is a common date within the Seated Liberty quarter series. This piece would almost certainly be flagged as a "problem" coin with environmental damage by PCGS. Even if it were a problem-free VF the value would not justify spending the money to have it graded.

I say just enjoy the coin. Better yet, go back to the site and see if there are any more out there! Maybe you'll find a rare date for which certification would be appropriate.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2012  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nwdetectorist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks folks for the responses so far.
Yeah, the faint scratches are from trying to be careful extracting the coin from some hard clay.
I did rinse the coin under tap water and dish soap.
Funny how the coin somehow looks very scrubbed or cleaned.

Thanks again...

nwdetectorist
Learn More...
United States
16270 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2012  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nonetheless, a fantastic find!

Pillar of the Community
United States
3702 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2012  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joe2007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find although I agree that it won't grade problem free. Still lots of detail and I never found anything like that the dozen or so times I metal detected! Welcome to the forum.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05