Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mailbox Or P.o. Box?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19156 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Meant to be signed for? You should make this point clear to them. Ask them if the package arrived (i.e. has it been signed for), being ambiguous as to whether you got it. If not, they are in some troubles. You could do the right thing and tell them to get it signed for, or you could take advantage of it (probably best you dont).

I can't remember the last time I had to sign for anything from the mail, UPS, FED-X or anyplace. I really got ticked off not long ago when I intercepted a FED-X delivery person at my door that said here are those coins you ordered from the Mint. I get packages all the time ane they are just left on my front door steps. If raining, they usually have the decency to place inside the storm door. I've had pacages worth a lot of money just laying there.
Not sure why nothing is ever done about this either. On TV some time ago there was an arrest made of people following UPS drivers and picking up the packages they just left on front porches. Some time ago I called to complain and was rudely told to switch to another carrier.
As to your situation I strongly suggest a post office box. Always better to be safe than sorry.
just carl
Edited by just carl
12/05/2012 6:47 pm
Learn More...
United States
14313 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
bobby131313

The UPS Store offers a service where you get a unique plain looking physical address at the store. It's like an incognito PO box.

One time I had a FedEx package delivered to a local FedEx office for pickup. I haven't really tried that for UPS.

Side Note: FedEx will deliver to my P.O. Box but UPS requires a physical address. A few packages shipped with UPS I had delivered to my Mother's house a few towns away.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
1110 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ghostrider to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I really got ticked off not long ago when I intercepted a FED-X delivery person at my door that said here are those coins you ordered from the Mint.

Just carl I have had deliveries from both the US (UPS) and Canadian (FedEx) mints and I have never had a conversation with any delivery person about what's in the delivery. Until you mentioned this I would have never guessed that the delivery person knew what's in the shipment.

This almost sounds like a serious breach of delivery protocol by the agent. Shipments from both mints bear no indication that the shipments contain coins or that they come from the mint. I think that that delivery agent was way to nosy and should have been reported for snooping.

The shipments from the US mints are arranged by PBGS and the one from the Canadian mint are arranged by a similiar plain shipper that does not have the name of the RCN on the shipping container.

Your delivery person was way to inquisitive. I will admit that sometimes the UPS personell are rude and arrogant as you indicate. One time a UPS driver drove a piece of our mechanized equipment off the dock and tried to drive off but was intercepted by our dock personell and the UPS office personnel tried to maintain that it was not their problem that we should have had better safeguards in place that would prevent their personnel from using our equipment. The company had to threaten them with the loss of a national contract worth millions from its multiple locations before they would accept liability.

edit: When the US mint ships a package out with a value of over $1500 someone has to sign for it. This is what the mint requires when they send out a high valued item (usually something that involves gold).
Edited by ghostrider
12/05/2012 7:42 pm
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This almost sounds like a serious breach of delivery protocol by the agent. Shipments from both mints bear no indication that the shipments contain coins or that they come from the mint. I think that that delivery agent was way to nosy and should have been reported for snooping.

Its entirely possible hes either a collector himself or knowns what PBGS ships and saw that when reading the address on the label. Reporting someone for reading the delivery label seems overblown to me
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2012  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add StashTreasure to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i use a P.O.Box its more Comforting to me that and I live in a rough area so keeping $20 to $50 coins ripe for the taking in my yard scares me...thank god my dog protects the packages a skiddish courier droops off..
Pillar of the Community
United States
4756 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2012  08:31 am  Show Profile   Check barryg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add barryg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got a P.O. Box to use for bullion purchases. The only downside is that I can't buy from dealers who ship via UPS or FedEx (at least, I think that's the case).

My Coin & Currency Collection
(Dansco 7070 and 8100 albums, Proof Type Set, U.S. Currency Type Set & Foreign Bullion Collection)
Learn More...
United States
14313 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2012  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
barryg,
FedEx packages will get to my P.O.Box through them passing off to USPS. I know you can have packages sent to a local FedEx store for pickup. And mentioned above, you can get a "mailbox" at a UPS location (and FedEx I think) to have deliveries sent there.

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19156 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2012  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Its entirely possible hes either a collector himself or knowns what PBGS ships and saw that when reading the address on the label. Reporting someone for reading the delivery label seems overblown to me

Exactly. If you work delivering items all the time and see that box that looks like the one you also get, from the same place you get yours, it sure wouldn't be a box of candy.
just carl
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2012  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add frankthetank to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My mailman almost always hands me my packages. Get to know your mailman, most are really cool guys/girls.
Learn More...
United States
14313 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2012  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the one during the week. I usually buy a little gift box of candy for people I see alot, and I give one to her. I don't like the carriers on weekends or when the main carrier is off

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05