Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Attribution Sought: 1799 Bust Dollar

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 56 / Views: 8,359Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
3462 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  4:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Any help or ideas would be most welcome.
Thank you.
Matthew

Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4180 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sweet coin
Learn More...
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
B-5, BB-157, based on the incomplete "U" in UNITED and the crack through STATES. A lovely coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't realize they did the lettering like that on those dollars. Kind of fancy!
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tom B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That looks very pretty.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1432 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jeffrose to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.earlydollars.org/1799index.htm

Try this site. Click on Normal Design for data on your coin and Overview for the different attributes.

BTW ... very nice. Love the Circulated Cameo look.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6323 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful example, thanks for showing us.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2224 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cipster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Matthew, Sorry I can't help with the attribution but that's a beauty
Member ANA and EAC

"You got to lose to know how to win".
Dream On by Aerosmith
Edited by cipster
01/02/2013 4:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with SsuperDdave's attribution. Real pretty! Yours?
Learn More...
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I agree with SsuperDdave's attribution. Real pretty! Yours?

I win, for once.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I win, for once.

He caught me while I was taking the little woman to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Great Marcel Duchamp exhibit there, for just a couple more weeks, so check it out!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3462 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  5:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As of today, when the postal carrier came, this is now in front of me. I cannot take my eyes off of it.
It came to my attention three weeks ago at my local coin show. I was not looking for it, but there it was. Sure, not the 1795 that I saw a month previously, as that had been sold.
But an even nicer example of an old dollar.
Now, what to do? Let it fly down to Orlando next week to be sold at some silly national coin show?
Or stay in Connecticut where it would be loved by a man whose piggy bank is crying as he writes this?
I could not leave it behind. So....
Complete collection of Wheat Cents - down payment.
Check for balance sent a week later.
All for a dollar which, oddly enough, seems to please everyone who has viewed it so far.
Oh, I bought it raw. Does that give you all reason to worry?
Well, I know the dealer and the dealer from whom he accepted it on consignment. Both are on my good list. Years ago, there was a local TV Commercial: if you do not know diamonds, know your diamond dealer. The same is true of coins and coin dealers.
As for attribution, I am only asking for help to document the coin for future generations. I like the coin just as it is: old and not monkeyed with. But knowledge is always a good thing to seek.
Lastly, we coin people just need a little reassurance from time to time.
Thank you all for the reassurance you have given so far.

PS. Does it make a VF-20?
Learn More...
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  5:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
PS. Does it make a VF-20?

I don't think that's an unreasonable grade. And if you happen to be coming to FUN, bring it. I'll be imaging coins there like I did in Philly, and will cheerfully send you home with a CD of high-res images.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1618 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mysilveryears to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great looking coin. Welcome to the CCF 1799 owners' club. I bought mine raw from eBay a while ago on a good hunch, and it remains my favorite coin. One of these got passed around in a high school class more than 50 years ago. I dialed the fellow up recently, and he still has it! May yours bring you similar long term enjoyment. Maybe one day you'll find a 'little sister to go with it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3462 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll take SsuperdDdave's opinion over any TPG service any day!
Now. I paid $100 over VF-20 Ask (Grey Sheet) and did not bash an eyelash - after all,
eye appeal counts - color counts - all of the intangibles count.
I'd like to think that I did well.

Can I hear an "AMEN" from the choir?
Just ONE?

Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2013  7:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Amen for raw bust dollars! Anyone but me and you on here in that club?
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 56 / Views: 8,359Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.51 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05