Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unknown Medieval Silver Coins Good Condition | Lithuania

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 4,648Next Topic
Page: of 2
United Kingdom
33 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2013  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bradez72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hardly ever see fakes on eBay , I'm shocked
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2402 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2013  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they are genuine - but I'm not really sure what to make of the seller. I've seen some of his auctions and there is no way some of the coins have been found "near the thames". While these look OK some of his other coins look a bit off - on saying that there have been some very rare tokens with what looks like water corrosion type damage.

I'm not going to buy anything of his until I get a better feel for what is going on. It is quite likely, as previously said, that he is selling suff for others - maybe just too lazy to change the listing info - maybe he thinks it might be a good selling feature (though most would be unfazed by that).

Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2013  3:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's just a fact of life that old silver pulled out of the Thames just sounds more appealing than old silver pulled out of the River Daugava.
United Kingdom
33 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2013  5:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bradez72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I mean , how many coins are in the Thames anyway

he doesn't even say "in the Thames " he says NEAR the Thames that's probilly in his house which is neer the Thames

Unless one day he found 200 coins and selling them gradually
United Kingdom
33 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2013  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bradez72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sold for £31 or $50

Would anyone pay this?

United Kingdom
33 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2013  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bradez72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United Kingdom
449 Posts
 Posted 01/10/2013  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinage123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I mean , how many coins are in the Thames anyway

ALLOT, trust me. It's not that unusual to find small hoards of coins which would of once been money pouches accidentally dropped into the river. I've never walked a stretch of the foreshore without finding at least one coin of some sort; mainly old pennies, H'pennies etc.
You name an object and there will be one in the Thames; I heard from my Archeological society that there's even a German V2 rocket at the bottom of the Thames!
Edited by Coinage123
01/10/2013 8:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2430 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2013  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could this be the same seller with a new name?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27114152386....m1423.l2649

Seems that there's more. Check sellers other items.
Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2016  10:32 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
these were genuine Lithuanian coins - half-groats of Sigismund the Old 1512,1513,1510, half-groat of Sigismund August 1556 and undated half-groat of Alexander Jagiellon(last years of 15 century). Their mintage was in millions, so the coins arent expensive - probably 10 usd each....
Catalogue of Lithuanian half-groats 1495-1529 http://goccf.com/t/282866
Valued Member
Poland
311 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2016  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add geraltttt82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You can write to: gdrsb

http://en.numista.com/echanges/profil.php?id=70364

He is spec in:
"Lithuanian halfgroats of 1495-1529, Lithuanian groats 1625-1627, Lithuanian solids 1614-1627, 1652-1653"

Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2016  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
geraltttt82

I'm here. gdrs is my nick in numista :)
Learn More...
United States
18252 Posts
 Posted 08/28/2016  6:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
well @giedrius/gdrs, I'm glad that you are here on CCF--as you may know we see old Polish/Latvian/Lithuanian coins pretty often here.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Lithuania
363 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2016  12:14 am  Show Profile   Check giedrius's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add giedrius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dspenciner

Thank You!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 4,648Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 4.1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05