Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is It A Coin Collection Or A Hoard?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2013  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joex481 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I mostly try to keep my coins organized, but once you keep copper cents... I gave up organizing after collecting at least 1 roll per year (59-79).
Besides pennies I throw in all kinds of other coins--wheats, State Quarters, ATB Quarters, nickels, dimes, 2009 pennies (every single one I see), any canadian change, nickels, Presidential dollars, the list goes on...
Definitely hoarding, or the latter choice
Edited by Joex481
01/30/2013 9:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2013  02:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ninamason to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HOARD. I was born in the Year of the Dragon, you see

In all seriousness, though, 99% of my collection that hasn't been obtained via trade on CCF has come to me straight through my cash drawer. The exceptions are my very old foreigns (purchased from my shiny coin man on the Bay) and some of my IHC/wheats, which I bought from a collection someone had in the 50s and abandoned (childhood collection though, so, y'know, still searched from change). As a result my collection has very little form. However, I like it that way--I like the idea that my nieces, when they are old enough, will be able to be handed my shoeboxes and told to "play, just make sure ALL of the coins are back in the box when you're done and please ask me before you pull out the bills" and then fantasize over Merc dimes, IHC, shiny pennies from the years their mom and dad were born, yuan notes from China, a $20 from 1950 (ANCIENT TIMES, THOSE!) all mixed together with State proofs and big, shiny Morgan and Peace dollars (thank you again, jfransch!) . . . and also silver coins with an actual queen on them that are all the way from England and come from a time when women wore big frilly ball gowns all the time, and coins in funny other languages, and . . . . you get the picture.

My collection can thus be roughly divided into five parts:

--Professor Peabody's Wayback Machine: The Cent Edition. This is a collection beginning in 1982 and going backward until I can't afford anymore or hit the beginning of the IHC (sorry, Flying Eagle lovers, they don't do it for me), all contained in a nice shiny binder as suggested by BadThad.

--Drink Up, Me Hearties, Yo Ho: This is an amalgamation of modern (read: post-1955) foreign coins and bills that will someday be tipped into a painted chest containing a map of the world with a big red X drawn over Texas, where my girls live. They will then be encouraged to hunt down the locations from which their "pirate treasure" came and to mark each new location on the map, and also to learn about what's on the coins (who is that person? Why is that building there? Why do you think the coin has a hole through it/is that light/has those funny bumps around the edge?).

--On An Island What You Can Only Find If You Already Know Where It Is: An amalgamation of older foreign coins (no bills yet). When the girls get a little older and want to know where the good coins are, they can come see me. The answer is, they're in a shiny blue box from a place called Whitman, in little cardboard holders.

--All That Other Stuff: junk I've pulled out of my drawer and found fascinating.

--Why Do You People Know My Phone Number: bills! Star notes and old stuff, and a few foreigns.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
396 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2013  8:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tampabaygrampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Organized hoard.
Hundred, maybe thousands, of buffalo/liberty/Jefferson nickels.
244 rolls of copper cents sorted by date and mint mark.
Lincolns from 1909 to now, missing 6 keys.
Nickels from 1883 to now, missing 3 liberty keys and
the key buffalo. I have decided I am not spending the
money on the keys and am happy with the incomplete sets.
I have many, many more coins that I have accumulated over
the years that may be of interest to my Grandchildren someday.
I haven't sold anything in years and years. Guess that
makes me a hoarder?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19156 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2013  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I started out to be a coin collector. Still am maybe. No longer sure. I've been collecting coins for well over 60 years. I would like to get rid of about 5 to 10 thousand coins and I really will, someday, maybe, possibly, I think. I know I'm not a hoarder since I put coins in Albums so I must still be a collector, maybe.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2013  01:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ninamason to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Justcarl, you could post them here . . . hinthint . . .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19156 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2013  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Justcarl, you could post them here . . . hinthint . . .

I've thought about that a real lot. I've got no one to leave it all to so might just do that someday.
just carl
Canada
29 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2013  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amoncion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a very small collecting budget as we're completely renovating our house at the moment, so for me I just look through pocket change for anything cool, get family and friends who go on vacation to save me their spare local change (they usually use it as tips so I give 'Em a few bucks for tipping) or save my own vacation change, and sometimes do the odd eBay purchase, but usually it's something from a country I know I'll never visit...
Valued Member
United States
387 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2013  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BigAppleBucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have completed a number of circulating sets, but also could be accused, I suppose, of hoarding coins since I have so many unrelated to either completed sets or sets I'm working on.

For several reasons.
1. They're just plain interesting;
2. I might get interested in acquiring an entire set;
3. They can be used in trade for what I'm interested in;
4. My kids might like them.

Another project I'm working on is an Excel spreadsheet of my inventory. So far I'm at over 6,000 coins, (25% done?) with only a few hundred being in collections.

Is it a hoard if you have an inventory?
Edited by BigAppleBucky
02/02/2013 9:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
318 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverEye to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hoard. Anything I can get my hands on below spot or below wholesale. I can't pass up a deal.

Quote:

I think that makes it an obsession..
Valued Member
United States
387 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BigAppleBucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
SilverEye
Valued Member
Posted Today 17 Hrs 24 Min ago

Quote:

I think that makes it an obsession..

That's a given considering the forum we're on.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4208 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, personally, I collect. I intend to start hoarding when I turn 18.

Carl, you should make a pot. Do competitions for some of it. Trade some off. Perhaps leave details to send it all to the big cheeses of the forum for giving to the next generation at coin shows. Some day coins might be sold as 'Ex-Carl Collection'.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1227 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2013  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ninamason to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WAIT WHAAAAA---

Ben, how old are you?! I thought you were at least my age!!

And Carl, I'm going to agree with Ben. I'm not a "big cheese" but if you wanted to leave a few coins to my nieces via my current collection (which will, when I finally make a will, be bequeathed to them), I would be happy to pass it on to them (along with a letter about it and you, if you'd like--I've mentioned the memory books I'm making for my girls and anything that adds to the written record is precious!). My side of the family is very poor, and Grandma and Grandpa Mossberg are the children of Holocaust refugees--there aren't a whole lot of heirlooms and such to be had. I bet if you looked around you could find lots of "spiritual heirs" who would be happy to preserve your coins with your memory--I've certainly learned plenty from you and no way am I the only one!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05