Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1929-D Buffalo

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2013  10:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Did I mess up selling this? Why did it sell for so much? I thought it was a $2 coin.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/33089843609....m1561.l2649

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Learn More...
United States
16270 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2013  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, someone wanted it, thought your auction was reasonable, be happy :-)
Pillar of the Community
United States
5849 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2013  01:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add D0ubl3Eagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin has a full horn which I believe was once a requirement for VF and may still be to some people. If I remember correctly, this date like many of the other mintmarked issues from the 1920's doesn't usually come well struck. Yours looks like it may have been one of the exceptions.
Edited by D0ubl3Eagle
04/05/2013 01:54 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5034 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2013  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if you only expected to get a buck or whatever for it and got much more be happy rather than dwell on the past and what could be if anything unless someone comes on here next week and posts about their rare unknown die variety they just scored off of eBay for $6
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2013  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a seriously strong strike for the issue. You can find them in Mint State with that much horn.
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2013  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh well.... I got it in a bag of buffs for like a quarter a piece. there is so much to learn with each coin, date, variety etc.
Pillar of the Community
1028 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2013  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hesgut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would grade the coin VF-30. Price guides will have it worth slightly more, but the price you got on eBay is pretty much exactly what I'd expect. I was appropriate.

29-D, although it had some issues, is not noted as being one of the worst struck in the series like say, 25-S. Furthermore, this is actually not really a great strike if you ask me. It is probably just slightly above average. The horn looks to never have had a pointed tip, just a dull one and the buffalo's head and upper back are just decent. The coin is really nothing special as far as strike goes. With the mintage somewhat accessible and it being later in the series, enough surviving 29-D examples survived with full detail for it to have never been a problem.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05