Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ink Stamps On $100 Bills

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
5034 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2013  7:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
While dumping roll hunting half dollars I try to get large bills to make it easier on the tellers at the pickup banks.

For some reason almost all of the bills I get back have red or blue or green or black in small ink stamps of objects or numbers.

I asked a tell once and she didn't have a clue what they meant or who did them.

My guess is either banks doing it on the bottom note of a stack in case of theft, DEA or police doing it to track money used in drug deals (however given the large number and many different stamps I don't know and from watching COPS episodes they log the serial numbers anyways), or ?

Here are the 2 from this week.

The first bill seems to have been hit a few times with a fire engine, a carriage, a number and a robot head?

The other one has what appears to be a harp.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1620 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2013  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add daniels to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think the bank does that maybe gangs how they track there money
Pillar of the Community
United States
814 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2013  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoldenChest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No clue what they are, but I frequently find them
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2013  02:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blue-M to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe you will have to go undercover to find your answer. Afterall who will be willing to admit defacing US curency.
Pillar of the Community
United States
601 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2013  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billymac11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Made me think of the "Where's George" stuff, but obviously not that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
645 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2013  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are similar to chopmarks on Trade dollars. They are applied by merchants to attest to the genuineness of the note.
Valued Member
United States
137 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2013  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nationals to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have always heard them actually referred to as chop marks. I am under the impression that they are used mostly overseas by banks and merchants to show authenticity. You rarely see them on denominations besides $100s. They are neat to see, but not collectible.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5034 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2013  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the crispness of all of the marked bills I have come across I don't think any of them have spent any time overseas.

My money is still on marked DEA or homeland security bills.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5034 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2013  11:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it just me or in my last pic does it look like a wet ink transfer from a 20 over the 100 which should bot occur naturally at the BEP?

Maybe the stamps now mean counterfeit and not genuine?

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pjantares to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a number of $100 USD bills with different stamps on the back, not like what was posted earlier. I tried to buy something in Uruguay with one bill with a stamp and they refused it. They do not understand the reason, just think any $100 USD bill marked, torn or taped bills are not acceptable. I got one from the government owned bank in Uruguay and they tell me I can return the $100 and get a discount. What? They put the bills in the ATM machines then when you cannot use them for purchases, they will pay you a smaller sum. How can this be legal? Just a scam by the banks?
Learn More...
United States
76103 Posts
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05