Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: 1935 CT Tercentenary Ephemera

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 3,262Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4785 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2013  8:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Many of the US commemorative half-dollars of the mid-1930s were mailed to purchasers by their sponsoring commissions in either small folders that included information about the coin (see an example here: http://goccf.com/t/130904) or in simple cardboard holders (see an example here: http://goccf.com/t/143222). The 1935 Connecticut Tercentenary Commission went a different route, however, by distributing their coins in small cardboard boxes. The coins were distributed via mail order as well as through a number of Connecticut banks.

The boxes were wrapped in paper of various colors and/or styles; at least eight different box styles are known. Noted US commemorative authority Anthony Swiatek notes seven different boxes in his 2012 authoritative Encyclopedia, with the style of red box shown below not among them.

Read More: Commems Collection

Below are the two examples of the boxes I have in my collection. The first is a box wrapped in silver foil paper. It is of the "box with lid" variety with the two pieces connected via a small piece of silver tape. The box's top has the central portion of the Connecticut State Seal imprinted in blue along with the commemorative dates "1635 " 1935." Much of the imprint has been lost over the years, so I've included a public domain image of the Seal so that you can better "imagine" the box's original appearance. The Latin text on the banner translates as "He who is transplanted still sustains."

The interior of the box shows the distributing bank's name on the lid and features a dark/navy blue velour material in the bottom tray. The coin was wrapped in a small piece of tissue paper and placed in the box for delivery.

The second box is wrapped in a red paper with an embossed checkerboard pattern. The name of the distributing bank is on the outside of this box owing to the "drawer" style design of the box. The interior tray slips into the outer box like a drawer into a chest; note the small ribbon "handle" that is used to pull the drawer out of the outer box. The drawer again features a dark/navy blue velour interior but this time with a pouch in which the coin was inserted. Per Swiatek, similar boxes are also known with green velour interiors.

As with much of the ephemera material associated with the classic series of US commemorative coins, these boxes are far less common than the coins themselves. As such, boxes in decent shape will often sell for $100 or more (sometimes much more!).

Lastly, I've included the half-dollar that came with the red box. It has definitely toned over the years, but its connection to the box makes it a "special" piece in my collection.

Enjoy!

1935 Connecticut Tercentenary Silver Foil Box - Top

1935 Connecticut Tercentenary Silver Foil Box - Interior

Connecticut State Seal

1935 Connecticut Tercentenary Red "Checkerboard" Box - Top

1935 Connecticut Tercentenary Red "Checkerboard" Box - Interior

1935 Connecticut Tercentenary "Red Box" Coin - Obverse

1935 Connecticut Tercentenary "Red Box" Coin - Reverse

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4048 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2013  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Commems! Another informative article.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2013  09:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! I am glad you continue to share this information - I think it is interesting to understand the packaging behind the coin. I think it adds something to know that the toning may be from original packaging and helps in evaluating the coin.

Great work as usual!
Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6882 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2013  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very tired from too much work ... this tremendous post deserves a more insightful reply than I am capable of mustering at the moment.

Thanks commems for the continued generous sharing from your collection and knowledge.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
United States
38 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2014  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdwoods to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you ever see any boxes for sale please let me know. I have an original box and coin for the Bridgeport and a nice CT commem. I like the reverse eagle design. I'd like to get a box for the CT.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4785 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2017  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picked up another Connecticut distribution box, this time it's a silver and white geometric cube pattern tray box with blue velour interior with coin pocket. It is of the same type as the red checkerboard box shown above - a two-piece box with interior coin tray and outer slipcase; it also carries the same bank name as the red box: "Hartford - Connecticut Trust Company / Old State House Square."

Unlike the red box, however, this one didn't come with its original coin.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
01/14/2017 11:11 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10715 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2017  11:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only 5 to go!
Learn More...
United States
92278 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52121 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2017  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great work as always commems!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2066 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2017  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Check bandsdean's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add bandsdean to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread and examples. I bought 3 of these from original boxes and all have a similar tone. But all graded differently even though to me they are pretty much the same grade. We should play a game of guess the grade later this week!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 3,262Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05