Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Morgan And Peace Dollar VAM Books

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
7064 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2013  03:48 am Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I finally got an original copy of the early "Bible" by Leroy and George, neat thing is I purchased the late Pete "78P-Nut" Bishal's copy and it is autographed by all 3, LVA, GM and PB, a nice addition to my library.

I am currently working up a list of books on Morgans feel free to add to the list of known books I want to make up a reference list of literature on VAM and Morgan & Peace dollar books.

Here is my list so far;

Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan & Peace dollars 4th ed. - Leroy Van Allen and A. George Mallis

Updates to the Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace dollar varieties (print & photo sets) - Leroy Van Allen

The Morgan and Peace dollar Textbook - Wyane C. Miller (out of print)

Top 100 Morgan dollar Varieties, The VAM Keys - Michael S. Fey PhD and Jeff Oxman

1878 Morgan 8-TF Attribution Guide 3rd Ed. - Jeff Oxman and Les Hartnett

An Analysis of Morgan & Peace dollars - Wayne Miller (out of print)

Official Guide to the Hot 50 Morgan dollar Varieties - Jeff Oxman

1878-P 7TF Morgan dollar Attribution Guide - Leroy Van Allen

The Comprehensive U.S. Silver Dollar Encyclopedia - John W. Highfill (out of print)

List of die varieties of Morgan head silver dollars - A. George Mallis (out of print)

Comstock Crime of 1873 - The Comstock Connection - Robert R. Van Ryzin

What Every Silver Dollar Buyer Should Know - Steve Ivy and Ron Howard (out of print)

Morgan dollars: An In-depth Study - Dean F. Howe (out of print)

Die varieties of Morgan silver dollars - Francis X Klaes (out of print)

Date by date analysis of the Morgan dollar - Roger Smith (out of print)

A Guide Book of Morgan silver dollars - Q. David Bowers

The Official Red Book of Morgan silver dollars 1878-1921 - Q. David Bowers and Leroy Van Allen

Silver Dollars & Trade dollars of the United States, Vols. 1-2: A Complete Encyclopedia - Q. David Bowers (out of print)

Jim Osbon's Silver Dollar Encyclopedia 2nd Ed. - Jim Osbon (out of print)

The Silver Dollars of North and South America - Wayte Raymond (out of print)

Silver Dollar Fortune-telling - Sue and Les Fox (out of print)

The Complete Investor's Guide to Silver Dollar Investing - Dick A. Reed (out of print)

A Decade of Top 100 Insights - Michael S. Fey PhD

Official Guide to the 1878 Reverse OF '79 Varieties - Mark Witkower and Jeff Oxman

Morgan dollar 8 & 7 Over 8 Tail Feather Story - Leroy Van Allen

1878-S Morgan dollar Attribution Guide by Leroy Van Allen and Craig Lickenbrock

Long Nock (A Guide to the 1878-S B1 Reverse Varieties) - John Roberts

Guide to 1879-S Reverse of 1878 Morgan silver dollars - David Wang

1889 P Doubled Ear Morgan dollar Attribution Guide by Leroy Van Allen

The Oval O Coins of 1888 and 1889 An Attribution Guide - C. Ash Harrison

1900 O over CC Attribution Guide (A study of Die Varieties and States) - C. Ash Harrison

1921 P Infrequently Reeded or Wide Reeding Morgan dollar Attribution Guide - Leroy Van Allen

The 1921 Wide Reeding Varieties - C. Ash Harrison

Fun With 1921 " Denver Morgan dollars with Die Breaks, Die Gouges and Filled Dies - Rob Joyce

1921 Scribbles Morgan dollar Attribution Guide - Leroy Van Allen and Crae Morton

The 1921 Morgan dollars: An in-depth study - Mike Carter (out of print)

Amazing Changing 1921 S VAM 1B Thorn Head Morgan dollar - Leroy Van Allen
VAM-166 - C. Ash Harrison

Micro O and Other Counterfeit Morgan and Peace dollars - Leroy Van Allen

Misplaced Date Digits Morgan dollar Attribution Guide - Leroy Van Allen and Bill Van Note

Overdates & Over Mint Marks of Morgan dollars Attribution Guide by Leroy Van Allen

Elite clashed Morgan dollars - Mark Kimpton

Morgan dollar Overdates, Over Mintmarks, Misplaced Dates and Clashed E Reverses - Kevin Flynn

Correct Grading of Morgan silver dollars - Chuck Link and Dave Woodruff (out of print)

The Accugrade System Vol. 1&2 Morgan and Peace dollars - Alan Hager (out of print)

Top 50 Peace dollar Varieties - Jeff Oxman and Dr. David Close

2007 Index of Prices Realized (Recent VAM Transactions) - VAMview

2007 Retail Price Index ( VAM Value Guide) - VAMview

2008 Retail Price Index ( VAM Value Guide) - VAMview

2009 Retail Price Index ( VAM Value Guide) - VAMview

VAMview 2009 Index of Prices Realized - VAMview

---

While this list is hardly complete (I am only missing a few books on this list myself) I know there have been a few more recent additions to VAM specialty books since I wrote this list in 2009. If any other VAM collectors could add to it please do so in this thread - Thanks!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
9045 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2013  08:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is an impressive list West. I had no idea many of these titles even existed. As for your copy of the "bible", I'm jealous.
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
7064 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2013  01:26 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That is an impressive list West. I had no idea many of these titles even existed. As for your copy of the "bible", I'm jealous.

I've been buying books as long as I've been collecting coins now.

The "bible" really isn't that impressive a very old out-dated book on early VAMs, many, many more VAMs have been discovered since, and Pete Bishal was the 1878-P 8TF VAM9 master, and discovered that it was the very first set of dies used. Just wish the book had notes or copies of his research papers on the first Morgan struck, alas it does not. Even the signatures are not bold. But still the book does hold a special place in my library.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4196 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2014  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Silver Dollar Fortune-telling - Sue and Les Fox (out of print)

I'd be interested in what you thought about this book. I've seen, from the late '90s, a book by Sue and Les Fox on Beanie Babies they wrote in which they actually predict how many stuffed animals will have survived ten years later and the value (sometimes as high as $1500 for a toy with an issue price of $5) and we all know how well that worked out for anyone who collected them. I'd be interested in knowing if this book was as irresponsible.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7064 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2014  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
chequer - I have a few old copies of that book, I like it for what it is, if you want a copy, PM and let me know, just pay the postage cost and you can have one! I think I have around 3 or 4 extra copies, I got in a book deal I picked up this past year. (I never knew they did a book on Beanie Babies)! The silver dollar fortune telling book, does have good information on remaining quantities and the percentages of surviving coins in PL and DMPL, though no where as through as my still favorite John Highfill Silver Dollar Encyclopedia. The values were pretty in line with the time of publication as well.

Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2014  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chettieyy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First off, Thank you Westcoin for the list.. I have been wanting to start learning how to correctly attribute the vams on my Morgans(60 & counting). I have done alittle research but have been wanting to buy my first book.

I would appreciate any advice on which 2 books might be the best way to go. Cost isn't too much of an issue as the information within will pay the cost of the book off in no time. I should note that I do have all the necessary things needed for close up research. Just missing the books. Thanks in advance.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7064 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2014  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd start off with the first one on the list, "The Bible" of VAMs.

Then maybe either the 8-TF or 7-TF guides, depending on which 1878-P dollars interest you more or that you have more of. From there, any of the more specialized VAM books by variety as you need. Most of the current books are found over at http://vamsandmore.net/?product_cat...search-books

Most of the featured books are good ones. (I get nothing from them by recommending books, and am not affiliated in anyway with Vams and More).

Check on eBay as you can usually find the books much cheaper there.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
18647 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2014  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You must have a large room for books. Very impressive collection.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
7064 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2014  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You must have a large room for books.

Nope unfortunately at the moment most of them are in several storage units. I hope to remedy that soon though!

Valued Member
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2014  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chettieyy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you westcoin for the info and your advice on which way to go as well as the link. I have been trying to find a good site with a extensive selection of books on morgans and Peace dollars and your link was exactly what I needed. I ended up purchasing the comprehensive catalog of morgan and Peace dollars as well as the top 100. I figure that should get me going for now and give me some good reading and educational tools as for markers, attribution, etc. Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to respond and maybe I will see ya around the VAM threads sometime.
Pillar of the Community
United States
506 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2014  02:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinlover168 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
westcoin, which edition do you have? I think there are 4 of them (1978, 1980, 1984 and 1987). Which do you think would be most useful today, mostly for the PL and DMPL percentages?
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2014  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Which do you think would be most useful today, mostly for the PL and DMPL percentages?

None of them. Half the known VAMs have been identified since the last edition of the Encyclopedia. Your best bet for figuring PL/DMPL percentages is the Heritage Auctions Archives. Membership is free, and they list over a quarter of a million Morgan sales going back to the 1990's.

The numbers will be skewed upward somewhat because PL/DMPL Morgans are more-valuable coins which will be overrepresented in Heritage Auctions, but they're skewed equally so date-to-date and PL-to-DMPL comparisons will have validity. Plan on seeing an average of between 7-10% of the total, combined PL/DMPL, for a given issue. Lower than that, and it's scarce. Issues like 1881-S are up in the 12% range.

Yes, this is research I've already done.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7064 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2014  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with Dave. There is not much to go on for PL and DMPL percentages, as there are more new VAMs getting found every week. As to the overall percentages of DMPL and PL I'd say John Highfill's encyclopedia does an admirable job at the count as does Les and Sue Fox Silver Dollar Fortune Telling books, also for more on the DMPL see Wayne Miller's book, none of these books are that expensive, (under $25.00 on Highfill's massive book and the other two books can be found under $15.00 often enough on eBay - I have a few copies of the Fox books (various editions) I'm trying to locate now, when I do I will probably put a few up for auction here at CCF).

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05