Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Identify Coin, Medal Or Token

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2013  10:25 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BroKan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
To make a long story short, we received some coins through a death in the family. My 11 year old daughter has taken a big interest in them and I can't tell you how happy I am to see her fascinated with something other than video games.lol We have been able to identify many of them but still have several to find. I am not sure if some of them are even coins. They may be medals or tokens of some sort because they have rings. I am posting a pictue of all of them but I can post individual ones too. My camera is awful and the pictures did not turn out very good. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give us.

Learn More...
United States
14316 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2013  10:33 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are these all the coins or only the ones that you have not identified? We need a brighter and closer picture of the coins, maybe 2 or 3 coins at a time, and also pictures of the reverse.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2013  10:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BroKan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok..this is all new to me. Do I need to start a new topic with each piece because I find how to add the pictures on this one.
Learn More...
United States
14316 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2013  10:45 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can add pictures to this topic, then possibly identify then as coin #1 or coin #2.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2013  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BroKan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok...like I said my camera is aweful. Icant zoom in without it getting blurry. Here is the first coin or token...

Valued Member
53 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2013  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sean the Coin collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i would say it is pendant that is y nobody know I would also say from pakistan or isreali !!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2013  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, the strange figure inside the wreath in called a tughra; it symbolizes a particular sultan of the Ottoman Empire. Below the tughra, you can also see four digits: the date. A little blurry, but either 1324 (1906), or 1334 (1915).
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2013  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BroKan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ahhhh....thank you. I just googled it and was the first one that popped up. It says it is Turkish Military order medal.One down 11 more to go.lol Thanks soooo much. I know my daughter is having fun with these but I don't want her to burn herself out looking and loose interest.:)
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2357 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2013  1:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm fairly sure these are pendants rather than coins turned into pendants. Obviously they look Chinese and Ottoman - but I'm suspicious that they look so similar - so they are likely just pendants made to look like coins
Learn More...
Australia
13297 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2013  03:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do I need to start a new topic with each piece because I find how to add the pictures on this one.

We actually prefer people post items in separate threads, so they can be moved to the appropriate place once they're identified. You've got a mixture of coins, medals and tokens here, and some things which might never be identified.

Numbering from the top left of your first pics:

#1: Identified above.

#2: I have no idea. It's definitely not a coin. Perhaps jewellery of some kind.

#3: Looks like an old Ottoman coin, but we'll really need to see both sides of this one. I can;t tell if it's a gold coin, or a silver coin that's gold-plated, or a jewellery replica.

#4: This one appears to be a jewellery replica of an Ottoman gold coin, but it might be another government medal. Need to see the other side.

#5: Ottoman copper coin, probably Turkish given the origin of most other items here.

#6: Looks like a Chinese machine-struck 1 cash coin, much like this one.

#7: I believe it's a 2 drachmai from Greece. Like this.

#8: I believe this is either another Ottoman copepr coin, or a Galata Bridge token.

#9: a Greek bronze coin.

#10: an Italian coin.

#11: Can't see it too clearly, but I think it's another Ottoman coin.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2013  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BroKan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone, you have have been most helpful! I will try to get some better pics of some of them with their reverse sides and post when I get a few mins. Thanks again.
Valued Member
United States
347 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2013  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add manymore to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
#6: Looks like a Chinese machine-struck 1 cash coin, much like this one.

It's actually this version of the coin.

Gary
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05