Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lucky Yard Sale Score

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 3,450Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
592 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2013  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add larsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What's the total value there for those of us that are new to collecting? Looks like a great find..

CSOTUS,

The junk silver value, or the value of the silver itself in the coins, is about $40. At the current spot rate of $19.73 the coins beak down as follows:

1 pre 1965 quarter (90% silver) - melt = $3.57
1 pre 1965 half dollar (90% silver) - melt = $7.14
10 1965-1970 Kennedy halves (40% silver) - melt = $2.92 x 10 = $29.20

With silver at $20 per ounce, the ratio of FV to junk on pre-65 silver coins is a little over 14:1. So in simple terms, if all the coins are 1964 or older and made of silver (dimes, quarters, halves, maybe even Morgan and Peace dollars!), add up the face value and multiply by 14 to get a very fair price. If you can get it for less than that, BARGAIN!

The 1965-70 Kennedy halves are 40% silver, so the ratio is a bit different. There are a few Eisenhower dollars that are 40% silver as well. They are 1971-74, but ONLY the S mint mark. For the 40% silver coins it's a bit less than 6:1. So add up all the 40% silver coins and multiple face value by 6 to find the "fair" price.

This is a quick way to assess the value of silver coins in a yard sale. Of course, if silver price changes, the ratio changes as well.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3688 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2013  12:46 am  Show Profile   Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It makes you think, though, that these coins were not sold by the original owner.
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 08/01/2013  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papermoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HOLY LORD! - AMAZING FINDS! I never found ANY coins at yard sales - maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2013  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justkeepsearching to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One time out of the four times I went to the local flea market I found something worth buying, but it was really good.

What you have to understand, as I am sure many do, is that those people who only sell coins Always know what they have, which was the opposite of the case where I had my buys, much to my delight

I purchased, for $27, a folder of 27 IHC's including a 1865 in G, an 1874 in VG, an 1879 in G, an 1890 in AU, an 1899 in AU, and a 1902, 1904,, 1nd 1906 in XF

I also purchased, for $25, a folder of LWC from 1909-1940 that was mostly full (apart from keys), which had a 1916s in VF+, 1919s in XF, 1920d in XF, 1925d in XF, and... wait for it...

a 1924d in G (my first one)

needless to say I was very happy for the next few days

As for the other three times, nobody had anything worth even looking at, but meh, that one trip will have me going back anyway
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2805 Posts
 Posted 09/02/2013  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nalaberong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the coins with no Latin text on them that can't be attributed by your average flea marketeer - 500 yen for $1 isn't a bad deal!
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 3,450Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05