Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Does Everybody Store Their Coins?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
285 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2013  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sg93 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
is anybody familiar with storing 2x2's in PVC type holders? I thought I might go the archival plastic way but considering that the coins won't come into contact with the PVC I just don't know.

Anyway, who knows of a good place to get air-tite capsules and albums from? cheapest I've seen goes around 58 cents, but I doubt that comes with the original blister pack and if I order the album shipping definitely isn't going to be pretty.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16623 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2013  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have discovered that the very thin Mylar sheet used in 2x2's is not completely impervious. I have noticed that in humid climates, the Mylar will stick, and become jammed inside the 2x2 PVC album pocket pages, thus making it near impossible to remove the 2x2 Mylar / cardboard flip.

I assume that tiny amounts of moisture may have something to do with this. The also assume that the slow gassing out of the oily softener used in PVC album pages is involved as well.

I have also noticed that cartwheel red lustre bronze and copper coins in Mylar 2x2's in 2x2 PVC album pockets, will still loose their red lustre over 10 or more years.

For these reasons, I was forced to replace all of my PVC album pages. I now use archival quality album pages to address these two annoying problems.

Archival quality album pages, with 2x2 pockets are made in two types of materials:
thick Mylar, and
clear polypropylene.

Neither of these materials have an oily softener which gasses out of the plastic from which they are made, and my problems now appear to be solved.

The sooner that PVC album pages, (which use an oily based softener) are banned from the numismatic market, the better.
Archival quality album pages are only marginally more expensive, and should always be used.
Edited by sel_69l
09/08/2013 10:03 am
Valued Member
United States
339 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2013  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xAGENTxMULDERx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got 2x2's for my silver coins and air tights for my silver eagles, its only a collection of about 40 coins but all but the 2 silver eagles are in 2x2's

all my world coins are unsorted in a box
Edited by xAGENTxMULDERx
09/10/2013 06:14 am
Valued Member
United States
179 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2013  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ambro51 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very Old School. 2x2 envelopes with cloth liners. I can type info, purchase price code, weight, size and comments.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1874 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2013  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flippy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I store most of mine in 2x2 staple flips with the exception of coins larger than 38mm which I store in safelips. I also have some in Whitman albums.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19156 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2013  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Presently over 100 Albums. 9 Whitman two row boxes of coins in 2x2's. Several cigar type boxes of rolls of coins. Lots of just boxes of Proof sets, Uncirc sets, other rolls of coins, 3 ringed binders of those 20 slotted sheets full of loose Proofs.
AND
just carl
Edited by just carl
09/10/2013 10:29 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05