Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Picking Up Coins In Parking Lots.

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  04:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add gtnorthwest to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Someone in one of the forums had a statement attached to their post that said...(not the exact quote)..."You can tell a coin collector when you see one. They're the ones bending over picking up coins in parking lots." I was leaving a store 2 days ago, saw two cents on the pavement and stopped to pick them up and check the date. Then I remembered the person's post and had to laugh at myself. :-)
And, No, they weren't DDO's or anything else worth more than one cent. But it's still a lot of fun and a hard habit to break.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29058 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  04:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
a hard habit to break.
I agree,i have been doing it all my life.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1874 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  06:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flippy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same in Australia but with 5c coins. No one wants to pick them up but me it seems
Learn More...
United States
14155 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  07:04 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I pickup coins in parking lots, and I also pickup & collect can pull tabs for a charity.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
1211 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerseyben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pull tabs for charity?
Rest in Peace
United States
3039 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to pick them up but then thought of the various bodily fluids that may be on them so I have stopped.Yuk
Edited by numismo
09/11/2013 10:20 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18443 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would if I could but after so many operations, bending over for anything is just a bit to painfull. Of course if I saw a $100 bill I'd make an exception.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1053 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  11:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinDan98 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, it's free money!
And you never know what coin it could be. It's like roll hunting or looking at your change; but you paid TRULY zero for it!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1053 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinDan98 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For example: my best find off the ground was a 1964-D silver dime.
I also found a 1969-S JFK counterstamp penny on the asphalt. I was so excited to find that thing!
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiggam007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haha, I pick up change all the time. No reason to just leave money lying around.
Pillar of the Community
United States
796 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CGCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up a random quarter outside of a Bank here in the US, ended up being a 2012 Canadian Dime with the Red Maple Leaf. That was a bit of a suprise for me to find around here
Pillar of the Community
United States
2504 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Check CoinCollector2000's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Who cares if we do? I pick them up, by the end of the year I've made a free 10-15 bucks, more on good years!
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiggam007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is/was a blog by an old professor who would go on "money walks" to keep in shape. He basically identified several routes that went past bank parking lots, car washes (either coins left on top of the boxes where you put them in or on the ground next to the vacuums), newspaper/pay phones/vending machines to check the slots, under drive through windows, and any other place he could think that coins could easily get lost. In a year he ended up with a little over a hundred bucks worth of coins which he donated to a charity, and, of course, he was a lot healtheir from the walks!
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TommyCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's a story (unknown if true) told about Warren Buffet where he was in an elevator with a number of other very high-net-worth guys when they all spotted a penny on the floor. No one went to reach for it except Buffet, who commented: "The start of the next billion.".

Even aside from collecting, grabbing change on the ground adds up over time, especially if invested/compounded.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1195 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  1:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add argentum to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found my first two French Francs that way in an airport shuttle station. I was about 8 and me and grandpa were picking up Grandma from a trip back east. Wondrous things!
Valued Member
United States
364 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2013  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add half n a half to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
found a wheat on the ground just the other day!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05