Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wanting To Know If This Is A 1964 SMS Kennedy Half Dollar?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
252 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2014  12:46 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add amnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am wanting to know if this is a 1964 SMS coin? I have scoured these forums and have been to HA. From what I gather there is polishing on these coins. Also, they are not proof like but more satin like and some have a tine from the 4 on some. Kennedy's hair is normal and not accented. The strike is extremely sharp. On the reverse there are "Four points", these are near the tip of the shield and lower(below the eagles's feathers). There are breaks in rays 11-13 where they meet the stars. The rims are also squared-off.

On my coin there are no breaks in rays 11-13. And I'm really not sure how else to differentiate a regular from a SMS. All help is appreciated! Here are a couple of pics. The coin is still in original government packaging. I also believe the pics show the polishing. If more pictures are needed I can try and post better ones. Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
4443 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2014  01:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like the typical 64 Kennedy proof to me.
Valued Member
United States
371 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2014  01:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mgillette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see what you mean, perhaps cleaned or mechanically polished?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37435 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2014  02:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The marks we are seeing may be on the holder or container they are packed in? When the coin moves it may leave a mark on what looks like cello? But the coin looks normal from what I can see.

As far as SMS, they started in 1965-1967. (Special Mint Sets) They were not proof coins, just created for collectors.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
01/30/2014 02:04 am
Valued Member
United States
371 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2014  02:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mgillette to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at my 64's... gotta agree with coop. They also don't quite have that deep mirror that you see on some other proofs.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
37435 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2014  02:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The proof coins can cloud in time to turn hazy. Sometimes they stay nice looking. It just depends on how they are handled/stored.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15393 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2014  11:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coin is still in original government packaging.

The 1964 SMS coins were not official "sets" and they had no "original government packaging". This is a regular proof Kennedy half.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
3137 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2014  12:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks like a proof. A 1964 SMS is very rare and is worth $$$$$$
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2014  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2014  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rupester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Send a picture of the mint medallion, the small amount of info on the coins insinuates they were not in a cello but a plastic holder a test run for 1965 hey send a pic of the reverse of the quarter is it silver? Does the quarter have a type a b or c reverse!? If sms it is SUPER RARE lots of possibilities
Valued Member
United States
252 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2014  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add amnight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some pictures you requested rupester. The quarter is silver and appears to me to be a Type B.

Valued Member
United States
341 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2014  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add harveypb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All proof quarters have the Type B Reverse. The better variety is the business strike 1956-1964 quarters that have the proof reverse.....
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15393 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2014  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Picture confirms that this is a regular proof set.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1300 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2014  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rupester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% a normal 1964 proof set id check it for DDO tdo on in god we trust. And probably out of the cello its a pretty nice coin. Coin is splashed with light but good pictures none the less
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2014  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eSinger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mirror returns after you take it out of the package. You just cant see it well in the plastic.

See these for examples:

http://goccf.com/t/143568

http://goccf.com/t/145251

You will see one in package and out....makes a big difference.
Italy
4 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2019  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add morganbest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

the 11 coins known 1964 SMS all have a satin effect
Edited by morganbest
05/25/2019 09:44 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05