Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection: What If? 1939 Leif Erikson Half-Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 3,799Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5937 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2014  7:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Seventy-five years ago, during the 75th Congress, companion bills were introduced into the House and Senate to authorize the coinage of 50-cent pieces to mark the "discovery of America by Leif Ericson." The coins were to be issued in connection with a celebration that was to be held in the "twin cities" of Minneapolis and St-Paul, Minnesota on Leif Erikson Day (October 9th) in 1939. (Note: There are multiple accepted spellings of "Erikson;" for this brief discussion I will use the spelling as generally used today [except in the above quote from the original bill].)

Leif Erikson Day got its start in Wisconsin and Minnesota in the early 1930s, before being adopted by a handful of other states. Though not well-known, Leif Erikson Day has been a nationally recognized holiday since 1964. Each year it is subject to a presidential proclamation calling for its observance. Here are the first two paragraphs from last year's proclamation:

More than a millennium ago, Leif Erikson, a son of Iceland and grandson of Norway, cast off from Norway's familiar shores and set sail for Greenland. Erikson and his crew were not aiming to make history. But their ship drifted off course in the North Atlantic, and they landed in present-day Canada, making them the first Europeans known to visit North America. Their settlement, Vinland, sustained them in the following months. And when the seafarers returned to Greenland, they brought stories of discovery with them and forged the first link in a chain that has connected our continents ever since.

Today, we commemorate Leif Erikson's journey. We also honor a group of Norwegian immigrants who summoned that same striving spirit centuries later. Together, in 1825, they braved uncertain waters with hope in their hearts, confident that greater opportunity and brighter horizons awaited them on American shores. The travelers were among the first to complete the voyage from Norway to New York City. And just as Leif Erikson had, they lit the way for generations to follow.

A 1939 half-dollar honoring Leif Erikson would have been the second US commemorative to pay tribute to the Norse explorer. Though the 1925 Norse-American medal was issued to mark the 100th anniversary of the first large-scale emigration of Norwegians to the US, it also included the inscription "AD 1000" which the sponsors of the medal identified as the year that Erikson first landed in North America (Canada specifically). (Note: Some historians suggest 1001AD as the year of Erikson's landing, but what's a year or so among friends?)

As noted in the proclamation, it is acknowledged that Erikson's arrival was the result of being blown off course during a voyage to Greenland vs. a planned expedition. Nonetheless, he and his crew are believed to have built the first settlement in North America.

Exactly why the coin proposal was introduced in 1939 is unclear. Leif Erikson Day had been celebrated in Minnesota since 1931, so 1939 was clearly not an attempt to help fund the establishment of the celebration. Similarly, it was not a milestone anniversary for the celebration or Leif's arrival in North America. It appears it might simply have been a case of "it's our turn for a coin" by the celebration's sponsor.

The October date of the celebration itself, however, does have significance. October 9th is the date on which the sloop Restauration arrived from Norway in New York City in 1825; it was the beginning of large scale emigration from the Scandinavian countries (Norway, Sweden and Denmark) to the US. Leif Erikson Day continues to be celebrated each year of October 9th, though the celebrations are admittedly low key and likely limited to those with ties to Scandinavia or living in an area of the US with an active and patriotic Scandinavian-American population.

The coin bills were referred to the appropriate House and Senate Committees but were never reported out. And so, no Leif Erickson coins or medals were authorized for striking by the US Mint. It does not appear that any privately-struck medals were made for the celebration either.

Of course, in 2000 the US and Iceland jointly issued silver commemoratives to mark the 1000th anniversary of Leif's landing in North America. I guess those pieces will have to suffice until Leif Erikson Day replaces Columbus Day!

The following images are courtesy of the US Mint at http://www.usmint.gov. I didn't have quick access to my coins!

2000 US Leif Erikson Commemorative Dollar - Obverse

2000 US Leif Erikson Commemorative Dollar - Reverse

2000 Iceland Leif Erikson Commemorative Krónur - Obverse

2000 Iceland Leif Erikson Commemorative Krónur - Reverse

Read More: Commems Collection
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7121 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2014  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Read the entire post twice commems ... amazed as always by your grasp of the history and ability to clearly communicate the story.

A few thoughts ...

Quote:
Leif Erikson Day has been a nationally recognized holiday since 1964

Doubt I will be off next October 9th ... but will indeed be thinking of Leif on that day.

Quote:
It appears it might simply have been a case of "it's our turn for a coin" by the celebration's sponsor.

Indeed ... and as you know much better than me the appetite for new commemorative coins in 1939 had turned against new issues.

I value very much all the historical context you always conjure up in your posts ... my personal Thank You for the continued sharing with all of us.

David

Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
862 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2014  02:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keepcalmandcoinon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that commem is a beautiful coin. Never even heard of it until your post. Thanks for the info!
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2014  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Leif Erikson Day continues to be celebrated each year of October 9th, though the celebrations are admittedly low key...
That's just how it works. If you know who first set their feet on N.America--well besides the First Nations--those big, noisy parades aren't necessary.

I think I like the Iceland 100 Kr. best--Leifur Eiríksson is a more accurate name too.
Edited by DVCollector
02/01/2014 3:28 pm
Learn More...
United States
101057 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2014  11:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This Leif Erikson Half Dollar would have been perfect in my 7070 right next to my Columbian Expo Half Dollar.

Oh well, that decision continues.

Thank for your sharing this story.

By the way, this topic is relevant to the contest in which I won the coin used as my old avatar.
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2014  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
JBuck--yeah, I remember that! You kept that avatar for a long time!
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 3,799Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05