Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay Sellers... Why?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 4,134Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
1531 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2014  12:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Cruisinfusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This has got to be one of the most obnoxious things on eBay.

Imagine this:
You're attending an annual coin show and you come across a new dealer. You've never seen him there before but you notice his abundance of nice coins. You point at one of the higher-grade coins and ask him what it is. Here's his response.

"WOW, EYE APPEAL, PQ+++, HIGH CONDITION GEM BU MUST SEE, MUST HAVE, WOW! 1879 KEY DATE, RARE LOW MINTAGE HARD TO FIND!"

Would you or would you not turn around and go home? I would.

Please leave your thoughts in the comments.

That concludes my short rant.
Thank you.

Pillar of the Community
872 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2014  12:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector-Corner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd just shake my head and turn away. Actions speak louder than words. I refuse to buy from anyone that thinks all that mass spamming of conditional words is accurate.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2014  12:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol gotta love the laziness of copy pasting his keyword spam as his response.

I'd actually love to hear a dealer do that in person it would give me a good laugh.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1531 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2014  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cruisinfusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, I came up with that wonderful compilation of words using my own noggin.

Sadly.
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2014  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fusion555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
STUNNER and DOUBLE SHARP seem to be the "in" words at the moment
Pillar of the Community
United States
573 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2014  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Susuman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the coin is not a 'Blast White Blazer,' I'm walking away....
Valued Member
Spain
110 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2014  03:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moneditis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would turn around and talk to next dealer
Pillar of the Community
United States
1211 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2014  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerseyben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find it hard to believe that people cannot look past obnoxious marketing techniques to purchase a coin they really like.

A deal is a deal and a nice coin is a nice coin.
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2014  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RecedingHairlines to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVz1Ez_ktOU

It's not just eBay. This guy wants to teach us how to collect coins but thinks the 27-D Peace dollar came from Detroit. Personally I want the 27-S minted in San Antonio...
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2014  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. How long has he been collecting, 30 seconds?

Detroit Mint, inverse reverse
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3588 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2014  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So let me get this straight. Now people that sell on eBay are not allowed to talk up their coins. Tell you what. Why dont all of you come up with a set of guidelines so that us poor eBay sellers dont do something that offends the sensibilities.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9346 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2014  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
DOUBLE SHARP

LOL. I excluded that seller from all my saved searches. Not for the "DOUBLE SHARP" itself, more because all of his coins are severely scrubbed.

It's kind of like a bunch of used car salesman started selling coins on eBay.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United Kingdom
450 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2014  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add awallin01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually use the George Foreman approach when listing an item ''I'm so proud of, I put my name on it'', and sign my name across whatever I'm selling-then class it as unique one of a kind because of my signature.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2014  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why dont all of you come up with a set of guidelines so that us poor eBay sellers dont do something that offends the sensibilities.

1. Post picture
2. Just say what it is
3. Post insanely oversized picture so it may be criticized for dings only seen when its the size of a dinner plate
4. Make sure theres no key words anywhere so it doesn't come up in any searches and the 99 cent auction sells for a fraction of its value

In all seriousness I do agree with you and Ben. The keyword spamming is all about getting it to come up in as many searches as possible which is the key to eBay and people really do search for those terms. Whats in the title doesn't change my opinion of the coin, I'm either interested or I'm not based on whats being sold as long as it doesn't seem shady.

The only marketing scheme that annoys me is when they post rarity comparisons to other dates in the title. The only reason that bothers me is because it gets me things I'm not looking for or gets me excited that something I've been waiting for was listed to find out its not actually it. Even then though if I liked it I would still buy it.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16915 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2014  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This guy wants to teach us how to collect coins but thinks the 27-D Peace dollar came from Detroit.

He also says that the Peace dollar came at the end of WWII.

On the other hand the video is filed in the correct category.....Comedy.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
389 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2014  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add justanothercoinaddict to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good post!

Quote:
Why dont all of you come up with a set of guidelines so that us poor eBay sellers dont do something that offends the sensibilities.

1. Don't call coins that aren't RARE rare!

2. Don't call coins that aren't KEY DATEs key date!

3. Post clear, large pictures of BOTH sides of a coin.

4. If you aren't a professional photographer bolster photos with a detailed description of anything that is out of the ordinary.

5. Always offer a return policy and don't complain, moan and groan when a coin is returned. Look at it from the collector's standpoint - It is difficult to buy a coin from photos, no matter how good those photos might be.

6. If you're offering worn out, low grade, problem or filler coins that don't sell after two or three times listed, give up on those kinds of items! Crap is crap and won't sell whether you post it for two or three weeks or ten years! Personally, I skip sellers whose listings consist of the same unsellable merchandise for weeks on end - Why take yourself out of the game in that fashion?
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 50 / Views: 4,134Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05