Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1836 Capped Bust Quarter, Opinions On Toning

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
274 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2014  10:04 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jayman1970 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I would like some opinions on the toning on this one. Love it, hate it, let me know what you think.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1531 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2014  10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cruisinfusion to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love it. I don't know why, but I enjoy the mottled toning.
I'm not an expert on types of toning and the way it forms, so I can't tell ya if it's real or not, if that's what you're asking.
Valued Member
United States
355 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2014  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add phankins11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Meh...I kinda like it...then again I didn't start out liking the toners...they've grown on me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2014  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not crazy about the toning. There are very few mottled toned coins that I favor.
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2014  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find it pleasing but almost certain proof of a coin recovering from an old cleaning. Whether or not it's "market-acceptable," I can't say, but I'm not optimistic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2014  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Love homogenized toning
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2014  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AT or not it has a pleasing look to it
Pillar of the Community
United States
1584 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2014  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add noD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like it. I'd be interested to see what it looks like in 5 years.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1486 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2014  07:41 am  Show Profile   Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Generally in silver/copper alloys Cu is about 5%. Along with Ag (generally blue) it gives you various rainbow colors. If you buy a coin which has been dipped - not brushed (hairlines) you can stick it in an oven say at 400*F and let the copper tone QUICKLY - bringing back some ORIGINAL color.

Here is my merry-go-round response to your question.

Its personal ...

Initially, bare Cu metal atoms react with air to form the pink oxide, cuprite, Cu2O, which has Cu+1 cations. This gradually oxidizes further to the black oxide, tenorite, CuO, with Cu+2 ions. The black sulfide CuS also sometimes forms. In the presence of moisture, the blackish layer slowly reacts with sulfur dioxide and carbon dioxide from the air to eventually form the patina, which is a mixture of 3 minerals:
brochantite, a green, hydrated copper sulfate, Cu4SO4(OH)6

malachite, the green, hydrated copper carbonate Cu2CO3(OH)2

azurite, the blue, hydrated copper carbonate Cu3(CO3)2(OH)2
In these compounds, copper atoms from the metal surface have been fully oxidized into Cu+2 (cupric) ions. The rate of patina formation and the proportion of the components depend upon humidity and handling.

It does bother me when collectors tell me I only like WHITE. Never been to New Orleans in a TIME MACHINE in the 1800's and view the top coin in a Morgan dollar bank roll out of the bank?

Valued Member
United States
416 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2014  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mailman28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like as well
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2392 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2014  09:02 am  Show Profile   Check Paul Bulgerin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Paul Bulgerin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just curious from a guy still learning US coins - How does toning like this indicate that a coin has been previously cleaned?

By the way, I like the toning.
Paul Bulgerin
Rest in Peace
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2014  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a toning fan, so of course I love it. Given the high grade of the coin, I would feel better about it if there was luster beneath the toning; which would give me more confidence that the toning was not generated from a prior cleaning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1486 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2014  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Check colonialjohn's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add colonialjohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes ... toning ... PLUS ... the cartwheel effect ... not LUSTER.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1599 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2014  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jprine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! I love the toning.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2014  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Personally I love it!
Valued Member
United States
217 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2014  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wiggam007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Regardless of if it was an old cleaning or not I would jump on this coin for my type set. I think it would fit in well.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05