Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Loupes?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2014  6:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dasaki to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I'm currently using a loose lens of unknown strength and decided to finally upgade to a loupe, but after a single Amazon search I was a little overwhelmed. Even under $10, or even under $5, there's just so many choices!

Any recomendations from the experts for a good one?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
29085 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2014  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you search loupes here on CCF you will find good info. I recommend starting with a 10x Hastings triplet.Depending on what you want to spend a Bausch & Lomb is very good but cost around $35. You can find less expensive brands which is fine as long as it is a Hastings triplet,IMHO.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2014  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NathanASE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
She I first got back into the hobby I bought a Bausch & Lomb for about the price John listed, the the Christmas before last bought a (roughly, I don't remember exactly) $2-$3 chepo 10x for a friend and after comparing them there's really not that much of a difference.... I ended up getting one for myself as well to carry to shows so I don't loose the more expensive one... In all honesty if say to the cheepo route and buy a coin with the difference... But I m sure you'll hear the opposite advise as well... It all boils down to your preference.
You can gets cheap USB photo microscope with a 200x zoom for like $26 too.... I bought one of those as well and it's amazing!
Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2014  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PatAR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For initial evaluations I have a Leuchtturm lighted magnifier 5x. I think similar ones are $10-ish from coin supply shops. For these larger plastic lens offerings most any magnifier will do so long as it suits your preferences for size, shape, built-in light if you want one, etc.

I prefer a triplet loupe for closer examinations in order to avoid distortions found in single lens magnifiers. After using many different kinds I have been most pleased with BelOMO loupes. They are durable, provide clear image, and generally have a slightly larger viewing area than other brands I've encountered. I think they are about $40 for 7x or 10x most places online.

Hope this helps
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2014  12:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add burks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had a Bausch & Lomb until it went through the wash, ruining it. Then I just bought a cheap-o one from a LCS for like $10. It's a 5x.

Ordered a 10x and 20x LED off eBay yesterday. Both were $9 each. Hopefully I'll remember this topic and update it on how they are.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9002 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2014  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use an HE Harris 16x loupe.
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
7022 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2014  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My all time favorite is the B&L APO Triplet 7x I'm on my third one now, I've used them so much I've actually worn out the pivot rivet on one, and the retaining ring that holds the lens in place on one. They are wonderful, but sometimes I do need more power I find.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
1554 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2014  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1893S to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Harris 16X triplet
Edited by 1893S
03/31/2014 7:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1839 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2014  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ditto for BelOMO. Made in Belarus by an old cold war era optics facility.
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2014  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add burks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Received my loupes from eBay today. Easiest way to find them is go under coin supplies, search 20 led (or 10 led). Should be $9 with free shipping, BIN.

They are heavy weight, well built pieces. LED are BRIGHT as heck and illuminate the coin very well. It does wash out the colors but hey, we're looking at details here. I find the 20x to be very clear and easy to use. The 10x isn't bad. I have good eyesight so I doubt I'll be using the 10x much unless I'm just doing a quick scan. 20x for finer work.

Overall I'm very pleased. For the cost of a Subway sub and a drink, I don't think you can go wrong. Now don't go and even try to compare to a $125 loupe.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18449 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2014  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try a local flea market or Walmart. You'ld be amazed at all the different types, sizes, magnifications available for a dollar or so. And duo to so many made from so many countries, the quality is unusually good. And as I said, for about a dollar or so. I've got about 20 different ones.
just carl
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2014  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NKAcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like Carl I've probably got 20+ different ones, but at all times I carry my Carl Zeiss 9x Bakelite Loupe, nothing compares.. They are a bit pricey..
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2014  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 25walkers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a question on loupes. I am quite new to the hobby and am enjoying it very much so far.

I purchased a 16X loupe last night. It is the 16X loupe from Whitman Publishing. Upon opening it, the loupe is reversing the image and making it very difficult to see.

I opened the loupe and it contains 2 lens. Each on their own seemed to work, but when put together it did not.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05