Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Odd Looking Surface

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2014  9:30 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add plonker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had this 2 marks for some time and the surface of the coin is totally different to any other coin I have seen. The coins obverse seems to be shiny and almost has a look of wood lacquer finish. I don't think I am able to capture the look and feel with my photography. Any idea what cause the coin to be shiny like this ?

Valued Member
United States
264 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2014  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rdwarrior to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the 5 mark version of this coin with what I would describe as the same funny surfaces, I always thought it was due to an old cleaning, but otherwise it is in high XF to AU condition. I will be interested to hear if anyone has another opinion.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4861 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2014  03:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree - re-toning after a cleaning of some sort which happened many years ago.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2014  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PatAR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is that rough looking area on the obverse (6 to 9 o'clock) tacky/sticky in any way? Or is it just light areas of wear showing through?

I've seen quite a few coins that had either been cleaned and retoned or which simply gathered dust and debris that combined with oils from people's skin to develop a dark appearance as seen on the reverse (eagle) of the coin you showed.

Whether relevant to this coin or not, it may be interesting to note that collectors have put all kinds of things on their coins in the past with the intent of protecting them (though seldom with the desired result).

You mentioned lacquer and, in fact, many coins were lacquered in the past. In fact, I think this practice might still occur among collectors of old medals.

This is by no means a recommendation. I just thought the information interesting and worth sharing.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2014  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The dark glossy obverse with wear and a nearly uncirculated reverse reminds me of one I used to own. My example was mounted in a sterling silver pin and it appeared that the obverse had been lightly polished a number of times. I have seen a few of these 2 Mark coins mounted in pins of various types so it must have been a popular thing to do at the time.

Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2014  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PatAR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat!
Valued Member
United States
460 Posts
 Posted 04/16/2014  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add plonker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all, I didn't know lacquer was applied on coins in the past. Looking at the mintage I see that there were matte proof of this. Does anyone know what matte proof surface suppose to look like ?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05