Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is This? Any Value?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2014  3:52 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I got two of these a while back. not sure what they are. Any help is appreciated.

Cory

Pillar of the Community
United States
4038 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2014  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All I can say, it's a real city in Michigan.
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2014  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this the correct place to put this on the forum?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2014  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At first, I thought it might be some sort of bond coupon but then I found this listing at Heritage. It is Depression-era scrip and it appears to have been passed around quite a bit before being redeemed.
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2014  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not a member of Heritage so I can not see what they sold for. Do you know what the final bid was?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2014  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say this would be the right forum.

What is the date in the upper right hand corner in red? It looks like 1934 but I can't tell for certain.

If it's 1934 then it could be Depression scrip.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2014  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I think biokemist6 found it with his Heritage link. I signed up and the whole lot sold for $55 and they looked to be in mint shape. So I guess I have a worthless piece of us history:(
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2014  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 6 scrip lot sold for $55 in 2010, Series A $1, $5 and $10 and Series C $1, $5, and $10.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2014  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it's worthless...if you find the right collector you might get anywhere from $2 to $5 maybe a little more if he/she really wanted it.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3167 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2014  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add noahs-numismatics to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting piece though!
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2014  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went and dug up the other one, here it is...........

Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2014  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cjs .....dog...........

Quote:
So I guess I have a worthless piece of us history:(

It is worth what some willing buyer will pay for it. As a youngster my Father told me there was more money in "junk" than the first class stuff.

His example was a car junk yard ... who would pay $25-$75 for 3000-4000 pounds of wrecked car.

Sales might be $50 for the radiator, $20 for the wheels and tires glass was a premium item, etc., etc ... after years of striping parts, He would sell the metal to the crushers for 1-2 cents per pound.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
726 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2014  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add persistnt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The back of the notes reminds me of 1920's Canadian notes---take a look at back of a shinplaster.......
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3167 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2014  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add noahs-numismatics to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
645 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2014  11:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They have already been positively identified as depression scrip from the Hamtramck Michigan. This is one of the more commonly available types of depression scrip and are almost always found as cancelled notes.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05