Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1961 50 Cent Struck Through Cloth?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Canada
726 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  10:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I saw this coin in hand at my local coin shop and it is listed on eBay. anybody have any comments? it is definitely a weird one. it just doesn't look right to me but there are some experts lurking around here that might know better. I can't seem to link the eBay page but here is the listing number.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2632 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it looks a little suspicious either a bored mint worker or a homemade squeeze job. Sorry cant help beyond that..
Pillar of the Community
United States
796 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CGCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd lean towards a squeeze job/Hammer job. It just does not look like any other Struck Through I've seen. Plus its on both sides, with a perfect circular shape on the reverse(hence the hammer reference)
Edited by CGCoins
06/10/2014 10:44 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was waiting for someone to chime in... as I am certainly no expert...

To me it looked like it was also offset on the obverse side... yet the edge and all the denticles are complete...
The "cloth" was on both sides of the planchet when it struck by the dies? And this didn't cause problem with the machining?

If this coin is legit I would love for someone to explain to me why it looks offset on the obverse.. and what those "wavy lines" are caused by around the 4 o'clock area of the obverse.

And how the heck did a coin either wrapped in cheeze cloth or burlap even end up getting into the press without jamming it up...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2632 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After a second look I say backdoor mint job.

Z right under bust..?
Edited by Alexer
06/10/2014 12:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7565 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it was done by someone with a press and a piece of screen.Squeezed a couple of times to create the doubling.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
06/10/2014 11:53 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4617 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  11:58 am  Show Profile   Check thedollarman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add thedollarman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this looks like a vice job or garage job of some kind.
my reason?
look at the word 'CENTS', note how it is flattened almost as if it were pressed down after striking. if real in imagine the die would be filled between the die and coin resulting in loss of detail ane thinner letters due to less space in the die devices.
PMD run away!
feel free to call me Will. I'm a 18 year old collector from Mississauga, Ontario.

my PMs are always open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like many on here feel it's PMD...

Which brings me to my second question. I am certainly not a professional in this field.. not in grading nor in dealing ... but the seller of this coin has a B&M store as well as an e-bay store..

So is this a dealer that has just made a professional error in judgement or is this a dealer that's trying to pass something over on people..

I generally hate to judge a person with out knowing them... but in an instant like this I would not buy anything from this person's store or web business as I'm already a skeptic to their business practices.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7565 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My sentiments exactly AgCoinAU.
I'm going to Victoria next month and now plan on stopping in at this coin store to see if they are the least knowledgable dealers around or the biggest scammers.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
1988 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  2:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, if it was cloth cause in the mint...The cloth was precisely in the middle of the coin...I made it 3D to see if the rim or denticles were affected..Doesn't look like it...Could very well be PMD...

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2632 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm going to Victoria next month and now plan on stopping in at this coin store to see if they are the least knowledgable dealers around or the biggest scammers

We all agree this coin was made on purpose..let them have an ear full DBM.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgCoinAu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depending on DBM's findings I think it may be wiser to watch and keep a diligent eye...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2632 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Its just a figure of speech I'm sure DBM will do the appropriate thing. If it came out the back door of the mint its still considered an error from what I've seen.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
661 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  3:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scissel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse is slightly convex and the reverse is concave. I'd say the coin is some sort of PMD hammer job.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3049 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@DBM ... just ask him to bring it to Vancouver for the June 15th show, I am sure Clay will show it to you (pretty sure he will have his usual table). As to them being knowledgeable coin dealers .................. well you can always be the judge of that. If you are in Victoria next month you can always see US @ the Sunday collectors flea market they just started up downtown Victoria. Cheers ! Pac... BTW I agree with you guys.... PMD absolutely on this piece! In my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
726 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2014  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey everyone. thanks for your opinions.

please let me start by saying that this coin store is my local store and the guys there are really honest but they are not too knowledgable about errors. they opened the store a couple of years ago. they are a gold and silver dealer but they are both coin collectors too so they do have a passion for coins and run it as a coin shop.

when I went in the shop they showed it to me for my opinion knowing that I do collect errors. I suggested that it didn't look right to me and that I should ask the opinion of this forum.

he mentioned to me that it came as part of a collection and he is selling it based on what the original owner stated on the 2x2 - struck through cloth. he will likely remove it from eBay once I link him to this thread.

for anyone coming to Victoria, please stop by LC coins. they are great guys and honest businessmen. and thanks for your opinions. Rob
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05