Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1824/2 Capped Bust Dime With Pointed "1"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,576Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2014  3:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Stevotello to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have had this coin in my collection for quite awhile and found it for 4 dollars in a "junk" bin from a coin show. From what I have come to understand, there are two varieties for the 1824/2 capped bust dime, the flat top "1" on the reverse, and the pointed top "1" on the reverse. I seem to have one of the few that has a pointed top "1", however the issue is that the coin itself unfortunately has a hole near the rim. It doesn't obfuscate the date in any way, but I assume that the hole very significantly detracts from the value of the coin. My question, however, is because this coin seems to be so relatively rare, does it have any numismatic value despite its obvious flaw? If so, what would any of you estimate? I attached some pictures.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1734 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2014  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obvious answer is something is worth what someone is willing to pay. That being said, $4 seem like a good deal. I don't buy problem coins but I suspect if you tried hard enough, you could get $10-20 out of it to the right person. Maybe more. Maybe not. $4 is about melt or less.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2014  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stevotello to the CCF

I was looking around trying to find an answer for you since Capped Bust dimes aren't my specialty. It seems you have found a real gem with this one.

On PCGS Coinfacts it states, "According to Koening's research 75% of the known 1824 JR-2 dimes grade very good or worse".

I'd say it's worth more than you paid for it, as to how much more I can't say as it is out of my realm of knowledge. However, someone here at the CCF should be able give you a rough estimate.

Again welcome and pleased to have you join us.

-MV
Learn More...
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 06/11/2014  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to Coin Community, Stevotello. Always a pleasure to have a new member post a stupid-rare coin for their first post.

And I use that term advisedly. There are something like 50 of these known, although new examples are found occasionally (I suspect yours is such a one). Such scarcity makes value difficult to estimate, but off the top of my head I wouldn't be surprised if the right interested party would throw $150 at you for it, hole and all.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2014  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Stevotello to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I had figured because of its rarity it had more value than what this poor man was selling it for so it was pretty much a no-brainer to buy it then. I got it around a few years back and put it into storage not thinking much about it but have recently been getting rid of some coins that I don't necessarily need in my collection to make up for some minor debts I have. When I was going through everything, this came out and it reminded me of why I got it. This afternoon I've attempting to research this coin and the only information I could find was a book written specifically about it titled "1824 JR-2 - THE 6TH RAREST CAPPED BUST DIME DIE VARIETY". There was a mention somewhere from the author that there was another collector like myself that had owned a similar example of this coin, also with a hole. The only issue I'm faced with now is finding someone either interested enough with this specific series of coins to complete his/her collection with it or just someone itching to have a coin that possesses such rarity. Can any of you direct me towards someone that I could talk to about getting this coin sold? I'm not sure about the rules in this forum so if what I am asking is against them, I apologize.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4409 Posts
 Posted 06/12/2014  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I was in your shoes, I'd list it on eBay...sure there'd be fees but you would receive more than selling it via auction or to a dealer.

Keep us updated on what you decide.

-MV
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  02:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joshmillerphoto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a few coins I like, but with obvious flaws like holes or breaks. Do I keep them in hopes they'll someday be worth more or do I sell them and use the money to purchase similar coins in better shape? I like them and have no problem with the hole'iness of them, but understand this is not a trait worth it's weight in silver.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  03:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If their that Rare, hang on to them. The more common ones sell . You might only get melt price though , no ? It's a personal choice though . I have a 1864 Small motto 2C I found detecting and I'll never part with it .
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joshmillerphoto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SensibleSal66,
I like your answer...I like them and don't really care if their numismatic value is compromised because of a hole or a crack, but understand if one would not want to buy it or own it because of this flaw. I have a Mark 1 Audi TT that gives me a whole lot of trouble, but I'll never get rid of the Silver Whip!
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  05:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There's plenty of these coins for sale on Ebay and people like me on a budget willing to buy. I have a few "details " coins but their in AU or better shape. The corrosive one's I found detecting and I see these for sale as well.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joshmillerphoto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you're right. I'm fine owning these until I can afford to buy a better coin which I will not like anymore than the lessor but will desire it's intrinsic value more than the beauty of it's etchings and history...and then i'll be bored.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2431 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Stevotello, another option might be to get it professionally repaired, then attributed and graded as genuine by PCGS. I've seen some hole repairs that are barely noticeable, and it might attract a much higher price at a major coin auction that way. I have no idea where to get it repaired, but it might be worth looking into given the rarity of the coin (and since the rest of the coin is in pretty good shape).

Edit: oh, I just realized this is a really old thread that was revived...
Edited by Zurie
09/30/2020 09:11 am
Learn More...
United States
91256 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2020  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
joshmillerphoto, to the Community!

Quote:
oh, I just realized this is a really old thread that was revived...
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,576Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05