Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Which One Would You Buy ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,236Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2014  12:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add plonker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am trying to reason which one I should buy from the below. What would you do ?

Austria Burgau 1767 thaler - NGC slabbed XF-40 with Scratches - 125$

Scratches are not that bad and seems to have occurred long time agao.

Austria Burgau 1766 thaler - NGC slabbed VF-35 - 150$

Seems better looking than the first one though a grade lower graded by NGC.

Edited by plonker
07/05/2014 1:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2014  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I would buy the problem free coin for more money. While the cheaper price and higher grades are always a lure toward problem coins, give me a problem free coin every time.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
11922 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2014  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Joseph7420 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Second one for me, has better eye appeal in my opinion.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1094 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2014  01:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with other posters that the VF looks better, however the photograph is also much better so it's not such a fair comparison. I also agree that problem free coins will be a better investment.
~jack
Pillar of the Community
France
1591 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2014  03:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would buy the one I prefer (hard to compare, the pictures are different).
I don't care about grading - but more about eye appeal.
Price is also important, but just for my budget - I don't care at all about investment.

PS : is it normal to see no denticles on the second one ?
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2014  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both coins are "But" coins; as in "its nice but....." I would suggest you save your money and wait for a better coin....perhaps look at sixbid.com. A higher grade will cost you more but it will retain its value and may even appreciate while those coins you have shown us will likely stagnate in value.
Pillar of the Community
Austria
562 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2014  09:22 am  Show Profile   Check coinworldtv's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinworldtv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At that price I would buy both :)
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2014  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add plonker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all, that's good advice and different view points. MathieuMa, I did'nt noticed that until you pointed out. Any suspicion on the second one ?
Pillar of the Community
2087 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2014  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add austrokiwi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any suspicion on the second one ?

Actually I didn't think there was too much wrong with the second one until I looked at the obverse(right) picture. It appears to have a rim very much like a modern struck coin. It might well be best to avoid that one!
Pillar of the Community
France
1591 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2014  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathieuMa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually don't know that type, but I found that strange when I compared both coins.

At least it's slabbed, if there is any issue you should be able to send it back to the grader to get your money back (the grader will in turn go back to the one which gave it for certification - if I understood well).
But ... I'm not sure it's worth the risk :)
Edited by MathieuMa
07/06/2014 2:37 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8231 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2014  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scratches on the details coin don't look too distracting. If it's BIN, OBO, I'd make a lower offer and see where that heads.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
United States
619 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2014  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Westwood Arms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hold off for a better specimen. I can't remember the last time I bought less than a clean 45, raw or slabbed, unless it was super cheap. Though a lot of the old gold has hairlines.
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2014  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add plonker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all, I think I will hold off on this one. Here is close up of the second coin from NGC.

Valued Member
Spain
110 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2014  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moneditis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
None of these two
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 1,236Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.65 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05