Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Modern: 1994 World Cup US Commemorative Coins: Striker Set

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 8,139Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2014  11:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It's been more than a year since I last posted about the 1994 US commemorative coins for the World Cup soccer (fĂștbol), but with the 2014 World Cup currently nearly its final match, I thought a quick additional post might be in order.

Though a fairly modest three-coin program, the US Mint's World Cup commemorative release was one of its most prolific in terms of packaging options for the coins. In addition to its standard clamshell cases and boxes, the US Mint also released a number of "special edition" packages with the coins inserted into plastic jewel cases similar to those that are used for music CDs. I've discussed the coins and several of the packaging options in previous posts: http://goccf.com/t/135438 and http://goccf.com/t/136178 and http://goccf.com/t/149973.

Tonight, I thought I'd share some info about one of these "jewel case" sets that is encountered less often. It's known as the "Striker Commemorative Coin Set."

Striker was the official mascot of the 1994 World Cup; he was created by the folks at Warner Brothers Animation Studios. You can find all sorts of memorabilia from the games with Striker's image â€" pins, stickers, patches, pennants, glassware, clothing, key chains, plush toys and a variety of other items. There was no shortage of Striker!

The coin set features an informative insert with colorful graphics that is targeted at kids. It introduces Striker, the World Cup itself and the value of collecting coins â€" especially 1994 World Cup coins struck by the US Mint! (See below.)

The set was available from the Mint for $37.00, a dollar cheaper than the price charged for the two-coin proof set in the standard clamshell package. It does not appear to have been a huge seller, however, as it does not appear for sale as frequently as many of the other packaging options for the US World Cup coins.

Enjoy!

1994 Striker Commemorative Coin Set - Front Panel

1994 Striker Commemorative Coin Set - Interior Panel A

1994 Striker Commemorative Coin Set - Interior Panel B

1994 Striker Commemorative Coin Set - Coin Tray

Read More: Commems Collection
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1158 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2014  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tkbslc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw these in the Red Book the other day and literally laughed. I think the art on them is so awful. The one Looks like two old guys falling down!

My opinion of course.
Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2014  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As always, thank you for sharing your collection and your words.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7273 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2014  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I always welcome any contribution that commems choses to make ... the world class collection coupled with extensive knowledge always makes for great and informative reading.

Many Thanks commems ... enjoyed another informative post.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1158 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2014  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tkbslc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I liked the post and found it interesting. The coin design just isn't my cup of tea.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 8,139Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05