Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Alphabetic Ancients Game.

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 44
Valued Member
United Kingdom
420 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2014  3:44 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Valecrucis to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In the spirit of a game they are playing on the main forum, I thought it might be fun to play one of our own. They are doing precise years, which obviously isn't possible for ancients. So maybe we can do letters of the alphabet.

If members of this forum think as collectors of ancients we are too serious to play games, then fair enough. But if there is participation, it could be ongoing through the alphabet, including, at the end, passing from Z back to A.

It might be an entertaining way to get to know each other's coins.

Here are the suggested rules. I hope they make sense:

1. You must own the coin, which must be older than the year 1600.

2. You must post your own photo of the coin.

3. Please provide a brief description of your coin, including a reference if possible.

4. It can be from any country or region.

5. The name of the ruler under whom the coin was struck must begin with the appropriate letter for the day.

6. To prevent people hogging the limelight, contributors must wait before making further posts of additional coins on the same day. Either two hours or three posts by others must pass before additional posts can be made.

7. Each day the letter we are at will move on to the next in the alphabet automatically. This will take place at midnight EST.

So.....begin with 'A':

Instead of posts being restricted to coins of a ruler whose name commences with the letter of the day, coins without a known ruler may also be posted providing the primary defining characteristic of the coin's background begins with the letter of the day. This may be the region or city of origin, or the magistrate etc,

Edited by Valecrucis
11/14/2014 6:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2367 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2014  3:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wheatchaser140 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll start, but unfortunately I don't have my own pics (it's in the 2x2 and I wouldn't like to rip open another one). Trust me though, it looks exactly the same in hand.

A for Arcadius!

Roman Empire AE2, Antioch Mint, struck c. 383-388 CE, RIC.63e.

Obverse: Pearl-diademed bust of Emperor facing right, DNARCADIVSPFAVG.

Reverse: Emperor holding standard and globe, standing on captive, VIRTVS EXERCITI.

Great idea for a thread!
Edited by wheatchaser140
11/14/2014 4:00 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2014  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two for the price of one, does that disqualify me?

Edit: Sorry!
Agrippa & Augusutus
26mm 12.42g As
Gaul, Nemausus
Obv: IMP DIVI F P P
Back-to-back heads of Agrippa, in rostral crown, & Augustus, laureate
Rev:COL NEM
Palm tree curving to left, crocodile right chained below, wreath to left of palm tip with long ties trailing to right.
10-14 AD
Cohen 8, RPC 525 RIC 60
Edited by pishpash
11/14/2014 4:17 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
420 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2014  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Valecrucis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No that wouldn't disqualify you PP, but not providing a description of your lovely coin might!

EDIT - Thanks for adding a description of your lovely coin PP!
Edited by Valecrucis
11/14/2014 4:19 pm
Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2014  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alexander III
AR Tetradrachm
Macedon Mint
Posthumous issue
Struck @315-294 BC
27.3 mm x 16.27 grams
Bust of Alexander wearing Lion head dress
Zeus seated legs crossed holding eagle and staff.
Greek legend ALEXANDER
monogram in left field.
Reference: Price 490 var.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4778 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2014  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Check VisigothKing's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very, very rare "A" ruler:

Athalaric, Ostrogothic Kingdom
AE Decanummium
Obv: INVICT-A ROMA, Roma helmeted, facing right
Rev: DN ATHAL-ARICVS, Athalaric, in military outfit, standing, holding spear and shield, S-C across fields, X in left field
Mint: Rome, struck 526-534 AD
Ref: BMC 69, COI 85b

"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 241, Byzantine: 44, Post-Roman Germanic: 24
Edited by VisigothKing
11/14/2014 4:57 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
420 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2014  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Valecrucis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Anastasius, Ae Follis. 498-518AD. Constantinople. 32mm, 14.70g.
Obv. DN ANASTA-SIVS PA. Pearl diad. dr. cuir. bust r.
Rev. Large M, cross above, star either side. E below. CON in exe.
Ref. MIBE 27, Sear 19.

Not the rarest, but I love the patina..
Pillar of the Community
1106 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2014  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Topcat7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, V.C. As you can see - I am back

How about my Bust Of Agenor, 328-324 BC conquests of Alexander

Phoenecian King of Tyre

2.2 gm, AR16.

I am off to 'shoot' (with a camera) President Obama, now, who is in our back yard this weekend.

Edited by Topcat7
11/14/2014 5:30 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2367 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2014  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wheatchaser140 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VK, it's interesting how the Ostrogoths seem to have copied the style of Roman Imperial Coinage. To what extent did the Ostrogoths and other peoples copy Roman traditions after the fall of the West?
Edited by wheatchaser140
11/14/2014 5:19 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
420 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2014  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Valecrucis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting coin TC. Glad you have joined in to my friend! It is nice to see such early interest in the game. Looks like it might work eh!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4778 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2014  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Check VisigothKing's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With a bit of careful cleaning, I'd say you could bring out the obverse details some more, Valecrucis.
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 241, Byzantine: 44, Post-Roman Germanic: 24
Valued Member
United Kingdom
420 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2014  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Valecrucis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that is not a bad idea VK. I will give it a go. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
1106 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2014  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Topcat7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I hope you're right, V.C.

I am off to try to find one of "Big Julie" for tomorrow.
That's about the only 'B' I have.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
420 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2014  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Valecrucis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck with Big Julie, TC. You will have to wait till we reach 'J' tho'. Just a reminder to all.....at any time someone can move us on to the next letter in the sequence.
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2014  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.at any time someone can move us on to the next letter in the sequence

My understanding of rule 8 (or how it should be) would be that one would wait for the clock to tick over to the next day before changing the letter - else the topic can be hijacked (just let me scan 25 [or however far I get in the alphabet] and rush the topic )
Pillar of the Community
United States
4778 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2014  5:48 pm  Show Profile   Check VisigothKing's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
VK, it's interesting how the Ostrogoths seem to have copied the style of Roman Imperial Coinage. To what extent did the Ostrogoths and other peoples copy Roman traditions after the fall of the West?
Contrary to popular belief, the whole Roman societal-cultural order wasn't turned on its head with the ascendency of Germanic peoples on former Roman lands. For one, most of the barbarian tribes that made their way into the Western Roman Empire were already Christian like the Romans, and some were Romanized to some degree.

The Roman Empire was big and influential enough to have had a lasting effect on rulers of the migrating tribes, for example the Ostrogoths. King Theodoric the Great aspired to be as famous and well-liked as emperors of the past such as Augustus or Hadrian (him nor any other of the barbarian kings dared to take the title of Emperor/Augustus however, since doing so would be seen as trying to rival the Eastern Roman emperor and in the hierarchy of Europe at the time, he was at the top), and Theodoric was an admirer of classical education and culture, and so sought to protect these in a changing world, a world that, as we look back, was transitioning from the ancient to the medieval.

The post-Roman kings for the most part kept existing institutions and culture intact; for the average Roman in the west, it was all just a matter of paying taxes to a new lord. Practicality was a reason; the small ruling classes of tribes were now ruling over millions of Romans. It made sense to change as little of their daily lives as possible and keep them happy. In the Ostrogothic Kingdom, the day-to-day government was still run by Roman officials who had knowledge of operating a state, only now they were answering to the Ostrogothic king. And as you noticed from my coin, keeping Roman styles on coinage (Roman coinage would probably have been the only kind of coinage most barbarians had seen anyway) was one way the Germanic kingdoms kept things as normal as possible, and for classically-inclined rulers such as Theodoric, was a way of preserving Roman culture.

Sorry for writing a long response but I hope I answered your question

Edited by VisigothKing
11/14/2014 5:59 pm
Page: of 44 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.04 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05