Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Official PNC (Philatelic Numismatic Cover) Thread

Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4305 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2020  12:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today's ARBA PNC (#3 of 5) features John Adams on the medal's obverse and a First Continental Congress theme on its reverse.

The 1974 ARBA PNC was the first to feature both the Seal of the Department of the Treasury and the official Bicentennial logo on the back of the envelope - previous ARBA PNCs only include the Treasury Seal.

The cover sold over 500,000 units when offered for sale back in 1974 - it was the third-highest selling of the five-cover series!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10300 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2020  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
commems, those are truly some excellent additions! Love that Boston Tea Party 4-block of stamps. I remember seeking that one out as a kid; pretty sure I still have it somewhere.

I kind of wish the Mint had done PNCs with the ATB Quarters.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4305 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CelticKnot: Thanks for checking in!

Quote:
I kind of wish the Mint had done PNCs with the ATB Quarters.

I guess sales of the Statehood Quarter PNCs had dropped to a level that made an ATB series too much of a financial risk.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4305 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2020  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1975 ARBA PNC features Paul Revere on the obverse of the medal and a Lexington-Concord theme on the reverse with Daniel Chester French's Minute Man statue as the primary design element.

Sales of the 1975 PNC reached almost 670,000 units - it had the second-highest sales volume of the series (only the first ARBA PNC from 1972 beats it).

Learn More...
United States
84130 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4305 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today, I finish up the series on American Revolution Bicentennial Administration (ARBA) PNCs with the 1976 cover (#5 of 5).

Somewhat surprisingly, the cover had the lowest sales volume of all the ARBA covers - 446,939. The 1972 cover had sales of 791,000 units, so sales of the 1976 cover were down 43.5% vs. 1972! Still, at nearly 447,000 covers sold, it is a common sight in the secondary marketplace.

The 1976 ARBA PNC depicts Thomas Jefferson on the obverse of the medal and a drafting of the Declaration of Independence theme on its reverse.

One minor change (accidental omission?) for the 1976 cover, its info cards/panels are not numbered - they were numbered "1" through "4" on the prior covers.

Learn More...
United States
84130 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2020  12:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent!

I have those stamps, intact, in my good ole Harris album. Yes, I used to dabble in stamps back in the day.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4305 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2020  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tonight's PNC offering is one that commemorates the 75th anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America. It features a medal designed by Frank Gasparro, the tenth Chief Engraver of the US Mint, along with the USPS stamp marking the Boy Scouts' anniversary.

The cover was postmarked on the stamp's first day of issue. It was produced by Fleetwood.

Learn More...
United States
84130 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4305 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next up is another Statue of Liberty (SoL) Centennial PNC; the cover was sold by the Postal Commemorative Society (PCS).

The cover features the 1986 US SoL commemorative half dollar along with SoL stamps from the US and France. Each stamp bears a first day of issue postmark (July 4, 1986) from its respective country.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4305 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today's PNC has a Louisiana Purchase theme and is tied to the release of the 2002 Louisiana Statehood Quarter (issued on May 20, 2002); the coin includes an outline of the Louisiana Territory that was purchased from France in 1803.

A 2002 Jefferson nickel is also included - Jefferson was the US President at the time and was responsible for sending James Monroe, Robert R. Livingston and Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours to Paris to negotiate the purchase with Napoleon. As you may recall, the US purchased the land from France for $15 million - the US got ~530 million acres in the deal and essentially doubled the size of the country.

The cover was produced by Fleetwood and was part of its "Eyewitness to History" coin cover series.

Edited by commems
02/15/2020 12:17 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4305 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2020  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today's post highlights the 2007 George Washington Presidential $1 coin in its American Presidency Coin Cover produced by the US Mint. I didn't purchase the full series of Presidential $1 PNCs from the Mint, but I did pick up the first few including the Washington cover. How could I not get the cover for the first president under the US Constitution?

The cover features two Washington $1 coins, one each from the first day of minting at Philadelphia and Denver. The cover was postmarked on February 15, 2007, the first day the Washington $1 was released. I'm posting the cover here on CCF on the 13th anniversary of the coin's release.

The Mint's issue price for the cover was $14.95.

Learn More...
United States
84130 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4305 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  9:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today's PNC installment is a Transpo '72 cover that features a commemorative medal.

Transpo '72 (the US International Transportation Exposition) was a trade show/convention that was sponsored by the US Department of Transportation and took place on the grounds of Dulles Airport in Washington, DC. The convention began on May 27, 1972 and continued through June 4, 1972. More than 1 million people attended the event over its nine-day run.

As would be imagined from its title, Transpo '72 was focused on transportation-related technologies (domestic and international). It included display/discussion of technologies such as high-speed rail systems, light rail systems, automated guideway transit (AGT) systems (i.e., automated driveless systems that follow a guideway [e.g., many airport monorails]) and new bus and tram car models for urban mass transit.

The bronze medal in the cover was struck by the US Mint in Philadelphia. The cover was postmarked on May 2, 1972, the first day of issue for the postal envelope. The back of the cover includes a mark indicated that the medal in the cover was first released on May 27, 1972, the opening day of Transpo '72.

Learn More...
United States
84130 Posts
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.01 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05