Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Official PNC (Philatelic Numismatic Cover) Thread

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4300 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next up is a PNC from 2003. It was produced by Fleetwood and celebrated Lewis and Clark's Corps of Discovery. The cover featured a pair of 2003 Missouri Statehood Quarters which depicted the return of Lewis and Clark to St. Louis, MO after their long journey through the newly acquired Louisiana Purchase Territory.

The PNC was pricey when first issued - $29.00! - but one has to admit that Fleetwood did produce some very high-quality, artistic coin covers that surpassed those of its competitors (with the exception of the US Mint's coin covers). IMO, this was one of them!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4300 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back in 1970-71, the US Mint struck several commemorative medals on behalf of the US Diplomatic Courier Association. The medals marked the 50th anniversary of the US Diplomatic Courier Service (in 1968).

The U.S. Diplomatic Courier Service was created in 1918, at the end of World War I, in Paris, France "to ensure the inviolability of classified communication between U.S. diplomatic missions across Europe" (Reference: "None Swifter Than These" article, The Foreign Service Journal, the American Foreign Service Association web site - http://www.afsa.org).

There were three versions of the medal struck: bronze, silver and gold-plated bronze. Following are images of the PNCs for each:

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10287 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a number of new posts, commems! Again, your Bicentennial examples really bring back the memories. I collected those stamps in the 80s and I'm pretty sure I could pull them out of an album somewhere.

Also I love these PNCs you're posting. I have a complete collection of the Presidential and I wonder if they'll do one retroactively for GHW Bush since they're apparently going to do the coin? I think the PNC unlikely, but I also think it would be fitting.
Edited by CelticKnot
02/19/2020 12:57 am
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pair of posts in my absence.

Love seeing Ike up there.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4300 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CelticKnot: Thanks for checking in. Maybe you could post a few of your favorite Presidential Series covers?

Quote:
Quite a number of new posts, commems!

When I started back on January 21st, I figured I would do about a month's worth of posts with PNCs from my collection. To be honest, I figured more folks would join in and post covers from their collection - especially non-US covers. I guess this area of the hobby just isn't a popular one among CCF'ers as only one member has joined the fun and posted. (Thanks Tunnioc!). My current plan is to keep posting PNCs until the end of the month.

RE: a George H. Bush PNC: I wouldn't be surprised to see a PNC for Bush. The Mint did sell thousands of each of the Presidential covers and likely made money on them. So...

@jbuck: Always happy to support you with an Ike sighting!

Edited by commems
02/19/2020 5:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4300 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today's PNC installment is another cover featuring a medal vs. coin; it is one of several that involved the Capitol Historical Society (CHS). The CHS sponsored a multi-year commemorative medal program (1978-91) that commemorated the bicentennial of American independence; the series featured medals in various sizes and metallic compositions. In some years, they partnered with Fleetwood for a PNC with their annual medal; today's PNC is the second I've presented - the first was the 200th Anniversary of the Treaty of Paris PNC.

The cover marks the 200th anniversary of the American victory over the British at Yorktown. The victory effectively ended the American Revolution. The cover is postmarked on the first day of issue for the stamp and medal - October 16, 1981.

Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@jbuck: Always happy to support you with an Ike sighting!

Quote:
Today's PNC installment is another cover featuring a medal vs. coin; it is one of several that involved the Capitol Historical Society (CHS)...
Nice one!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4300 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Considering we just celebrated President's Day in the US and I have already posted a George Washington $1 PNC, I couldn't let the week complete without a post for the Mint's Abraham Lincoln PNC.

Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4300 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next up are several day's worth of PNCs that have a North Carolina theme and were produced by the Franklin Mint either on behalf of another organization or for one of its own commemorative series.

Tonight, I'm presenting a PNC from the FM's own "Great Historic Sites of America" series - it recognizes Winston-Salem, NC (W-S). The FM produced the series in cooperation with the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

The obverse of the cover's enclosed medal depicts the Home Moravian Church (located in the Salem portion of Winston-Salem); the church was completed in 1800. The reverse of the medal has a very brief timeline related to the church. Today, the church is a focal point of the Salem Historic District. The medal is sterling silver (0.925 fine silver) and 39 millimeters in diameter.

The cover was postmarked on April 6, 1972, the medal's first day of issue. A total of 8,966 covers were produced for subscribers to the series. The original issue price for the cover was $9.50.

The text on the medal reads: Winston-Salem, NC / Home Moravian Church Built / By Members Of Protestant / Group Who Migrated To America / 1735. Founded Salem 1766. / Church Consecrated 1800.

Edited by commems
02/21/2020 7:11 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4300 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today, I present another PNC produced by the Franklin Mint. The cover comes from the "Postmasters of America" (POA) collection. The POA sponsored the creation of a silver commemorative medal to match the commemorative stamp issues released by the USPS - the two were then combined in a PNC as each new stamp issue was issued. The series began in 1971 and continued through 1981; the later years were not nearly as popular as the pre-bicentennial years.

The obverse of the cover's medal presents a flock of seagulls that extends from the foreground to the background where a young child can be seen playing; in the far background is the tiny silhouette of the Cape Hatteras lighthouse. The reverse of the medal features a bald eagle surmounting a shield. The shield has a ribbon inscribed with "Postmasters of America" and also carries the text: "Commemorative Issue / No. 16 / Issued April 5, 1972 / Hatteras, North Carolina."

The cover was postmarked on April 5, 1972 in Hatteras, NC, the official date and location for the first day of issue for the National Parks Centennial stamps which featured a se-tenant four-stamp view of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

The medal in the cover is sterling silver (0.925 fine silver) and 39 millimeters in diameter. A total of 21,622 covers were produced for subscribers to the 1972-dated series. The original issue price for the cover was $15.00.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4300 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next up is another North Carolina-themed PNC in my collection that was produced by the Franklin Mint (FM). This one marks the 80th anniversary of the first flight of the Wright Brothers on the sand dunes of Kill Devil Hills on NC's Outer Banks.

The cover is just one of 100 in a series the FM produced for The National Historical Society of Gettysburg, PA; the series was issued from 1978-1986. The objectives of the Society were to educate the public regarding US history and to celebrate the events that shaped the nation. I don't believe the Society is currently operating.

The obverse of the cover's medal depicts the Wright Flyer (circa 1903) in flight, while the reverse is devoted to elements and inscriptions that identify the medal as part of the the NHS' "Commemorative History of America" collection.

The medal in the cover is sterling silver (0.925 fine silver) and 32 millimeters in diameter. The complete collection was sold as a single set (vs. individually) with a maximum of 2,500 subscribers. The original issue price for covers in the series was $19.50.

The postmark on the cover is the 80th anniversary date of the world's first manned, powered aircraft flight vs. the issue date of the stamp.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2052 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoying the show commems!
Learn More...
United States
83885 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4300 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another PNC from Fleetwood. For multiple of the Statehood Quarters, Fleetwood created "Eyewitness to History(R)" covers that either featured two examples of the quarter, or the quarter with a coin that complemented it. (I previously posted a North Carolina "Eyewitness to History" cover.) The covers were of high quality and were generally postmarked on the issue date of the quarter.

Shown here is a cover that features the New York Statehood Quarter along with the US Statue of Liberty commemorative half dollar from 1986; both coins are copper-nickel clad and were struck at the Denver Mint.

I believe the original price for the cover was $29.00. I picked mine up on the secondary market and paid less than one-third of the issue price. I believe the Fleetwood covers would have been more popular if they had a more reasonable issue price. At the price points they charged, a collector/souvenir hunter needed to very much want the cover in order to pull the trigger on a purchase (IMO).

Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05