Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Official PNC (Philatelic Numismatic Cover) Thread

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Learn More...
United States
84228 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4310 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today, I am posting the first of several US Mint PNCs with a thematic link. I've already posted the complete set of the Mint's/ARBA's Bicentennial PNCs, as well as a couple of examples of its Presidential $1 series PNCs and a Statehood Quarter PNC example. The Mint also produced a set of PNCs for the Westward Journey Nickel Series (the subject of several future posts) and this cover featuring the Sacagawea $1 coin.

The artwork on the Sacagawea cover is bright and bold and completely covers the front of the PNC - the first time a US Mint PNC featured such artwork. The original artwork for the cover was the work of Paul and Chris Calle.

The Sacagawea $1 in my cover is quite nice, with full luster and minimal marks - I bet it would grade quite high if removed from the cover and sent in to a third-party grading company ( TPG). The coin was part of the first day of production at the Philadelphia Mint on November 18, 1999. The cover was cancelled on January 1, 2000 - the first day of issue for the new "Golden Dollar."

If you're a Sacagawea / Native American $1 coin collector, this PNC would make a nice addition to your collection (IMO).

Edited by commems
02/26/2020 1:17 pm
Learn More...
United States
84228 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you're a Sacagawea / Native American $1 coin collector, this PNC would make a nice addition to your collection (IMO).
I have to agree. I like it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4310 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today, I'm returning to the Westward Journey Nickel Series with PNCs from the US Mint and Fleetwood. Each features very colorful, full-coverage graphics and each, IMO, is a worthy "competitor" to the other in terms of attractiveness and production quality.

I will present the covers in chronological release order. In each post, I will display the US Mint's Coin Cover first and follow it with the corresponding cover from Fleetwood.

First up are the respective covers for the 2004 Peace Medal nickel. The US Mint cover took the nickel's theme literally and depicted a peace pipe ceremony between Lewis, Clark and Native American Grand Chief Weuche; Sacagawea is also depicted ine the scene, she is holding Chief Weuche's son "Struck by the Ree." The artwork is by Paul and Chris Calle, who also produced a 20-cover series for the bicentennial of the Lewis and Clark expedition for Fleetwood. I posted the complete Fleetwood collection over on Stamp Community Family; you can view it here: Lewis and Clark Bicentennial Collection.

Fleetwood went a different direction and depicted a scene that was pre-expedition and based on Thomas Jefferson and the Louisiana Purchase. The authorizing legislation for the nickel series specifically referenced the Louisiana Purchase bicentennial theme as the subject for a new-design 2003-dated nickel. No commemorative 2003 nickels were released, but the 2004-dated Peace Medal coin does include the inscriptions "Louisiana Purchase" and "1803." I think Fleetwood's decision to focus on Jefferson, the US president who sent representatives to France to negotiate the land purchase, was certainly a logical and appropriate one.

US Mint Coin Cover

Fleetwood Coin Cover

Learn More...
United States
84228 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4310 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Next up are the US Mint and Fleetwood covers for the second nickel in the Westard Journey series: the Keelboat nickels.

The keelboat used by Lewis and Clark was 55 feet long and eight (8) feet, four (4) inches wide at its widest point (beam); it had a draft of three (3) feet. It featured a single mast that supported a square sail; the boat also had 20 oar positions for rowing. The boat was built in Pittsburgh during the summer of 1803. (Source: http://www.Lewis-Clark.org)

Both the US Mint and Fleetwood covers feature artwork by Paul and Chris Calle, and offer somewhat similar views of members of the expedition heading up the Missouri River on their keelboat. The scene on the US Mint cover shows an unfurled sail as members of the expedition stand and assist the boat's navigation with poles. The Fleetwood cover depicts several of the crew seated and rowing with oars.

Another notable difference between the two covers can be found in the boat's cannon that can be seen on the US Mint cover (directly between the two men at the boat's bow); no such cannon is seen on the Fleetwood cover though its wooden supports are seen (being leaned on by the crew member at the bow of the boat).

I find it interesting that the artwork of Paul and Chris Calle was simultaneously used by the US Mint and Fleetwood, but fully support the decision of each - I think the artwork is great!

US Mint Coin Cover

Fleetwood Coin Cover

Pillar of the Community
United States
2063 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the mint should put more thought into the stamps they choose.
Learn More...
United States
84228 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4310 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Tunnioc: I tend to think that the US Mint's choice of stamp for its most recent covers has been more of a production issue than anything else.

Each of the covers it has released since 2000's Sacagawea PNC has featured a non-commemorative stamp vs. one that ties more closely to the cover's theme. Looking closely at the stamps, you'll notice that they are from rolls vs. sheets. Applying stamps from rolls to each cover is easier to automate and replicate precise position placement. Considering the thousands of covers the Mint sold of each release, it makes sense to me that they would automate as much of the production process as possible.

In the future, maybe the Mint could get the USPS to produce rolls of appropriate commemorative stamps?

Just my thoughts...

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4310 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  2:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My next installment of Westward Journey Nickel Series covers focuses on the 2005 American Bison nickel.

The 2005 nickel features a new portrait of Thomas Jefferson on its obverse, a closely-cropped, right-facing profile of Jefferson. The design was the first new portrait for the nickel since it was launched in 1938. The reverse of the coin depicts an American bison and gives the coin its name.

The American bison, often mistakenly referred to as a buffalo, was frequently encountered by Lewis and Clark during their expedition and was often mentioned in their journals; tens of millions of bison roamed the American plains at the time of the expedition. (By 1884, it was believed that less than 350 wild American bison were left due to hunting and mass slaughter.) The depiction of the bison on the nickel was meant to represent not only the large number of bison encountered during the expedition, but also the Native Americans that were met throughout the journey.

The artwork of the US Mint cover, once again created by Paul and Chris Calle, pulls together the bison/Native American symbolism of the coin in a powerful scene involving a Native American Chief at center stage and a herd of bison in the background. The Fleetwood cover is a bit less dynamic, focusing on a single grazing bison; a few additional bison can be seen in the background. I find the artwork on each of the covers to be top-notch.

US Mint Coin Cover

Fleetwood Coin Cover

Edited by commems
02/28/2020 2:01 pm
Learn More...
United States
84228 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4310 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2020  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today, I finish up the 2005 issues for the Westward Journey Nickel Series with a look at the coin covers for the Ocean in View coins.

Paul and Chris Calle created the artwork for the US Mint and for Fleetwood - the similarities seen in the figures of Lewis and Clark make it obvious. Both covers depict the expedition leaders looking off into the distance as they view the Pacific Ocean for the first time.

US Mint Coin Cover

Fleetwood Coin Cover

And with these covers, I end my run of posting PNCs from my collection. I began posting them back on January 21st, and have posted at least one cover each day since. In total, I've posted 55 covers. I have more in my collection, but the end of the month seems like a good time to bring the run to an end and pass the torch to another PNC collector to carry it forward.

Roughly 3,000 new views of the thread have occurred since January 21; I hope those that stopped by enjoyed seeing the various covers and learning a bit about the history they celebrated.

Learn More...
United States
84228 Posts
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05