Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Orleans Mint History

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 65 / Views: 5,226Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
4180 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  07:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've always been a fan of the "O". I love it on Liberty Seated dimes and it is a preferred MM when I look to add coins. I was just browsing the web and came across this entire detailed history of the New Orleans Mint. What a GREAT read if you've got some time. I had no idea that situations such as Yellow Fever killed mint officers in the fall of 1839 or that mint officers and their families lived in the mint in apartments upstairs. One officer even killed his wife there. Amazing history.

http://www.crt.state.la.us/assets/m...ismatist.pdf

https://www.coincommunity.com/mints...ismatist.pdf

*** Edited by Staff - Updated dead link ***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4213 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link, interesting reading indeed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
648 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add schmidty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, thanks for the link. This will be an interesting article to add to my library.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3431 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add matthewvincent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I especially liked the photos of the machines which appear to be mechanized.
Now we need some woodcuts of the HAND presses used half a century earlier.
Thank you dsfreeworld.
Brother, can you spare a "BARBER" dime?
Learn More...
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  09:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Philadelphia Mint had the same problem with Yellow Fever - it actually closed down for the summer and fall of 1802 due to an outbreak, and the disease was a regular visitor.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4180 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to share the inspiration for this morning's research and subsequent article discovery. A fellow CCF member did me a SOLID and sold me this coin this past weekend. I am very excited as its my first ever PCGS Variety attributed Liberty Seated dime.

1839 O/O RPM FS-501

This puppy is going right in the registry set and I am excited as ever to have this.

Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A good read. Thank you for sharing the link.

Quote:
This puppy is going right in the registry set and I am excited as ever to have this.
Very nice acquisition!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8127 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing!
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
United States
1839 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2016  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the link above is dead. Any chance someone has the the .pdf file or knows of a new link?
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2016  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Garoyn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The wiki is not that bad https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_Mint and there are many references listed
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2016  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It looks like the link above is dead. Any chance someone has the the .pdf file or knows of a new link?
I have it and just forwarded it to Bobby. He is going to provide a link.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1839 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2016  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tbone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have it and just forwarded it to Bobby. He is going to provide a link.

Thanks jbuck!

Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20822 Posts
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4180 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2016  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsfreeworld to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm surprised the state did not house that page on their server for long term viewing. It was a great story at the time. Glad we have a site owner and mods who know how to dig up other resources. Thanks Papa Bob!
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2016  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did not have to dig far. I keep anything that impresses me, so I only had to look at my hard drive.

All I had to do was right-click-send to Bobby, he did all the hard work.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 65 / Views: 5,226Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05