Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Watched A Small Battle For This Error

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 6,306Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2275 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  8:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Enjoyed my watching this little bidding war.

eBay item number:

Valued Member
Canada
348 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add brexzz1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any thoughts in this coin? Interesting.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1190 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pokermandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was watching it too. It's a legitimate error of some sort, I just couldn't figure out what it was. Bidding got far too rich for me.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
935 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pennysaver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had looked at that one myself, but the pictures were too poor to make out any real details so I passed. Not a bad little price if it's all that the seller claimed it is though.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1762 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  10:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bid quite strongly on this one but I did not win.

The pictures were not good. The "ghost images" don't seem right for a flip strike or a brockage. They also don't seem to match any likely foreign host coin. I am guessing it is a flawed planchet.

This seller sold a group of several 2004 off centre and out of collar errors a while ago with the same holders. I am guessing the errors were all "siblings". Maybe this one gummed up the works and caused the others to strike out of collar?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2275 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would have been nice to have some clear pictures of that coin.
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2015  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zimmy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin appears to be struck on wrong planchet assuming weight is correct in the description. Although pictures are marginal or at least hard to tell what's going on, it is clear that it's double struck as evidenced by the double beading along the edge of the coin. Therefore, I would assume that the images we see in the photos underneath the 2nd strike, are designs from the 1st strike. The big question is determining whether its double struck on a struck foreign planchet or an on center double struck cent on a foreign planchet. Sounds a little confusing but my guess is that its a flip over in collar double strike on a foreign planchet.
Edited by Zimmy
01/12/2015 11:53 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1762 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2015  12:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have to be careful on the double beading on the copper plated zinc cents. The force of the off centre strike has a pulling effect on the copper plating on the beads. So the double beads you see on the obverse I think it is just displacement of the copper form the original location where the underlying zinc remains. The doubling on the reverse may be evidence of a double strike. Wish the photos were better.
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2015  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zimmy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't appear that there are any flow marks from any "pulling effect", only what appears to be a significant distance between independent rows of beading. I still think it's a double strike but can't tell for sure.
Learn More...
Canada
10186 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2015  07:26 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I stayed out of that battle... the final hammer was quite surprising.
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Forum Kid
Canada
1074 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2015  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vancouver IslandCoinKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i was watching it from the very start, my max bid was 30 because I don't like to buy uncertified error coins that are valuable. nice coin though!
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2015  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zimmy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin just arrived today and I was and wasn't surprised. I wasn't surprised that it was a double strike on a foreign planchet but I was surprised that is was struck on a 2004 Papua New Guinea 1 Toea. Furthermore, I was surprised that the planchet itself appears to be struck on a 1.64 gram Fiji 1 cent planchet. Canada struck both New Guinea 1 Toea and Fiji One Cent coins in 2004. The Toea is supposed to weigh 2.1 grams but this coin weighs 1.64 grams. I find no other planchet that fits than the Fiji planchet in that it's the right year, the planchet is copper plated with a zinc core (see pictures for copper tears on beads and lettering), weigh is very close and the diameter would fit into cent collar. It's obviously not a 1 Toea planchet. Almost all of the underlying 1 Toea strike is evident but weak is some areas.

Below are the best pictures I could take. I like the coin. Maybe someone else has a better explanation of what it is?

Image of Butterfly of the 1 Toea strike

Image of some kind of bird....I guess native to Papua New Guinea

Image evidencing 2004 date

Here is image of copper plating with underlying zinc core.

Here is what a Papua New Guinea 1 Toea looks like
Learn More...
Canada
10186 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2015  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very cool...
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1762 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2015  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL. I bid high but not high enough. I thought it was the Fiji blank but I couldn't make sense of the underlying image.....I was looking for the Fiji image. Well done.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2275 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2015  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add darryldarryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those photos are a whole lot better then the ones on ebay.
Good job Zimmy!
Thanks for posting.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1190 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2015  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pokermandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice piece!
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 6,306Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: