Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fun Show 2015 Report

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2015  12:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ElmerFusterpuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wonder if I'll be the last one to post a winter 2015 FUN report? Either way, here goes:

Got to Orlando on Wednesday and made our way to the Sonesta Suites on International Drive. My travel agent wife got us a great rate there, and we also found out it was very centrally located. Our rental car sat idle the whole time; we either walked to where we needed to go or took a shuttle. It was about a mile walk to the convention center, which is probably about the same distance if you parked by the north/south concourse buildings. Between other fun things (Universal Studios, putt-putt golf, happy hours), I attended the FUN show most of the day Thursday and a few hours on Saturday morning. Here is my take on the 2015 show, my second FUN:

1) Thursday started out fairly crowded, and got to see the ribbon cutting to open the show, which was cool. The traffic seemed pretty steady the whole time on Thursday. Saturday appeared to be quite a bit lighter, but still steady.
2) My main search was for nice type coins, usually look for capped bust halves first, then Seated halves, then toners, then large cents, then other stuff. First show in awhile I didn't pick up a single capped bust half.
3) Submitted a handful of raw coins to PCGS for grading, results will be in a future thread.
4) Picked up an auction win from Great Collections.
5) Got to talk for a bit with David Kahn, TPRC, Brian Cushing, Dennis King, and a few others during the show.
6) Visited the Paragon Numismatics table, where they had the 'comet' and a blue-green monster Morgan on display. These coins belong near or at the top of the monster list IMHO.
7) Submitted a couple of bids in the Sheridan Downey auction, went 0 for 2. Quite a bit of nice stuff in that auction!
8) Visited with the U.S. Treasurer Rosa Rios for a bit; she was very personable and nice.
9) Panned for gold and managed to snag a couple of decent little gold nuggets. This is a neat part of FUN.
10) Found more coins for my collection on Saturday than I did on Friday, usually the first day is the most productive. So much stuff to go through.
11) Nice no-problem circulated Seated halves were very scarce. Way too many blast-white dipped out VF's and XF's (slabbed and raw) for my liking, ended up with a total of zero there too.
12) Missed the PCGS luncheon and the Pawn Stars stuff. Would have liked to have been one for two here, you can guess which one.
13) Overall I had a blast, will most likely check out Tampa next year too.

Now for the pics...

Opening day crowd waiting to get in:

Rosa Rios speaking at the opening:

Me and my wife with Rosa:

Rosa signed all these bills for us, any currency starting with 2009 on up has her signature:

Morgan monsters at the Paragon table, my pictures don't do them justice:

Now for my purchases:

Large cents from David Kahn, 1803 S-258 in PCGS VF-35, 1817 15 stars in PCGS XF-45:

Picked this Morgan up from Great Collections, 1881-S PCGS MS-65:

Picked up this neat endroll toner, PCGS MS-64 CAC:

Blue Franklin, PCGS MS-66:

Last coin bought at the show from Dennis King, PCGS MS-68:

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4916 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2015  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canadian-Banknotes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great Read, and excellent acquisitions.
Learn More...
United States
14293 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2015  01:24 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good report

Across from the gold mining was the Kids Area, and across from the Kids Area were the booths for CCF.
Did you stop by and introduce yourself
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
4040 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2015  07:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bpoc1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Did you stop by and introduce yourself
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4852 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2015  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was a lot of CCF members at that booth , did you stop?
Learn More...
United States
16356 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2015  09:27 am  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't remember seen you at the table. Nice coins!
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Forum Kid
Canada
1074 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2015  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vancouver IslandCoinKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow those morgans are amazing! very nice purchases! hands down!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05