Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Here Run A Coin Club?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  6:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Night Hawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I've been elected president of your local coin club and I'd love some ideas on how to actually run it..lol

Our club is an old one, founded in the early 50's. I've been a member for a couple of years now and I've decided to step up to the plate to try and save/help it.

Part of our problem is the average age of our members is in the upper 60's. Don't get me wrong, I highly value the knowledge and experience these members have, I'm just afraid if we don't start attracting some younger members our club will die of old age.

Which leads me to another problem, WE HAVE NO YOUNGER MEMBERS. I'm 45 and I AM one of the younger one's.

Half of your meetings consist of us just sitting around BS'ing, going over treasury reports and so on. There really isn't any structure or program to go by.

So here are a couple of ides I've had.

Our club has NO real online presence, there really isn't any way for anyone who's searching to find out about us. I've created a facebook page and I'm in the process of creating a simple web page.

I'm going to propose that we have a silver half dollar raffle as a fund raiser, as long as we sell enough tickets to cover the cost of the coin, we'll raffle it off.

I want to reward current members for bringing in new members. What I'd like to do is this, if you bring someone to the meeting who joins, you'll earn a silver quarter. I figure the money the new members will spend on our fund raisers over the year will more than offset the cost of the quarter.

I want to print up some business cards with the clubs info for members to hand out, and possibly put up at various places around the county.

I want to advertise in our local paper at least twice a year and put an add up on Craigslist the week before our meetings.

I want to give a free foreign coin to any member under 15 who attends a meeting.

Now, as far as what to do DURING the meeting.

I have 2, maybe 3 speakers lined up to give talks to our club this year.

I was thinking of doing various "specialty" nights, as in bring your oldest coin and tell us about it, or bring your most unusual coin and tell us about it. This way members can help educate each other in areas others might not collect.

Bingo night has been popular so that'll be done twice a year.

We do auctions every other month after the meetings and that will continue.

So what do you folks do at your club meetings? Any help/ideas would be appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4203 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It sounds as though you have the bones for a good active club ... may just need some structure and an infusion of fresh ideas to bring things back to life.

Regarding the web site, Heritage offers to host free pages for clubs

http://thecollectiNGCommunity.com/

- they pay for the domain of your choosing and set it up for you. I took advantage of this for our club's page:

http://www.sjcoinclub.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1744 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would love to be a part of a coin club, but I live in a dead zone for coins. I was wondering if you had ever heard of clubs approaching elementary (grade) schools to do a show & tell? perhaps getting the collecting bug instilled in kids at an early age.

I am sure teachers could insert this into part of a history lesson, you could show some old coins, to coincide with what the class is learning say WW1 or WW2
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Night Hawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did not know Heritage did that, thank you thank you! I'll def look into that...

I have thought about doing something coin related as part of our area's summer kids program, but due to my work schedule I'd never be able to go to a school, maybe someone else in the club could...... ;)
Learn More...
Australia
13293 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been a coin club Secretary, President or other office-bearer for nearly 20 years now, and have produced the club's monthly Magazine for even longer. I don't "run" it, but I'm certainly involved in doing so.

I can attest to the lack of younger members - it's a worldwide phenomenon. I'm 42 and the second-youngest member of the club (and yes, they did get me involved very early). The younger generations, statistically, just aren't "joiners" in the way that older generations were. It's a general shift in the culture, and there's not terribly much you can do about it - you've got to work with it, not try to fight against it. You can't drag people kicking and screaming into your club meetings, and the last thing you want to create is a room full of people who'd all much rather be somewhere else.

I believe that if a club wants to attract younger members, it has to be able to offer them something they can't get online, or anywhere else. One of the ways to do this is doing what the club has always done: provide a venue where you can meet face-to-face and talk with fellow enthusiasts. What else you could do, in part depends on your circumstances, and the skills and talents of the people who are already in your club. Got some people who could talk for hours about their favourite coins? Get them to give presentations. Got people with lots of surplus coins to sell? Hold more auctions. Got trivia buffs? Get them to write up some quizzes. Got a pro coin photographer? Ask them if they'd run a workshop on taking coin pictures.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2805 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nalaberong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm that special, elusive teenager who regularly attends coin club meetings, and yes I'm the only youth in the room (among about 40 people). But there are a few 20-and-30-somethings (the owner of a local coin store is under 30). I only started coming fairly recently, but I already have the opportunity to give a presentation in April and help edit the monthly magazine, so that's nice.

I have to say, I don't know how much the demographics have really shifted over time. Coin collecting seems like a hobby that's just more attractive to those with more time and experience. If that's the case, then coin clubs will always be full of old folks but it will always seem like the current batch of elderly collectors is "the last generation". I think attracting youth members is good, but don't sweat it if you don't get any.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19156 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Contact Numismedia and Coin World. Ask if the could give your club a few free copies of their papers. Same with anyone that has a coin organization. Contact companies like Whitman, Dansco, Littleton, etc and ask for catalogs or info.
Anything you can get free and pass out to members may help bring in others.
Ask members if they would donate anything at all in coinage to inspire younger people to join. Passing out free things to kids usually helps inspire them.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3435 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2015  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Run a "grading" contest. Use slabbed coins from the same series, different grading companies, and a variety of grades. Tape over the grades, number the coins, and hand out sheets.

Prize? Of course, something coin related!

Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2015  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add damcon3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My coin club has an auction every month. Along with two raffles one for all members who show up to meetings and a pay raffle also. People are aloud to set up for an hour before meetings to sell if they want to. We also have a show and tell section of the meeting for anyone who wants to present. If you find a way to attract more younger members let me know , as I am also the youngest by at least 30 years!
Pillar of the Community
United States
8028 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2015  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My coin club is set up the way Damcon's is. We have an auction, we do two raffles (the grand prize is a small gold coin ). We also have a numismatic topic that's different every month that is presented by a member.
Sets in progress... Mercury dimes, Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 01/21/2015  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Night Hawk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well my first meeting as president was the other night, and all things considered I think it went well.

Everyone liked my idea for the half dollar raffle, the FB page, the web site, the club business cards, and advertising twice a year.

The group was lukewarm on my idea of giving a bonus for bringing in new members, in fact one person was way to concerned about where we'd put "all them people" if my goal of doubling our membership is met. LOL (we have 22 members and use up maybe half the room)
I did have 2 members walk out during the break, they are (from my point of view) old school, stuck in the rut, happy with things the way they are and any changes are bad ~ type of people..lol Oh well, can't please everyone....

I had a couple more ideas I wanted to bounce off of them, but I could tell I was overloading them with too much at once so I decided to save them for later.

I like the idea of a grading contest, thanks!

We do have a bi-monthly auction, and every other month is member buy/sell. People set up before the meeting and folks can buy during the break or after the meeting is over. Both of these have been popular so I won't change them. We also do the membership drawing as well.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05