Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

More Fun? Collecting Valuable Coins Or Cheap Coins?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
767 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  10:17 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add scottk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
I have been having alot of fun collecting state and national park quarters for the past month. Yesterday, I was sitting here reading, and all of a sudden I jumped up, left the house, and drove to the car wash down the street. I'm a regular there, so.... ignoring that sign that says "for customers only", I inserted a $5 bill into the change machine, and drove away in a furry! (Not really - I actually just drove away), but what fun I had sorting through all those lustrous new quarters, and putting them into flips - getting ever closer to a complete set.

Though I will not stop buying coins, as I do enjoy my large cents, I am finding it equally fun to collect the coins I get at face value.

How bout you?

Poll Choices
  It's more fun to collect expensive coins.
  It's more fun to collect cheap or face value coins.
  It's equally fun to collect expensive coins and cheap coins.

Edited by scottk
01/24/2015 12:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4129 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can afford to collect expensive coins, you're probably already having a lot of fun, anyway.
Colligo ergo sum
Pillar of the Community
United States
767 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scottk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should have clarified that better Lucky. By "expensive" I just mean small denomination coins selling for say... over $20.

A one cent coin selling for $95 is at 9500x face value! Outrageous!
Edited by scottk
01/24/2015 10:55 am
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  11:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what does that make a 1909 S VDB - astronomical.
Pillar of the Community
United States
767 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scottk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1192 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  11:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bertensgrad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know I like CRH and junk silver boxes. Or any junk box actually. I can't afford a coin over $10 unless I'm trading something. I traded a 2009 and 2010 proof set last weekend for $70. I was so happy since I had my parents get them for me for $30 for Christmas.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AcesKings to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer classic coin designs, so that limits me to "expensive" since the melt value alone is more than 10X face in most cases.
Pillar of the Community
United States
796 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coincollector110 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer collecting old coins that can easily be received in change, nothing I have is valuable although some day I might get a 1950-D nickel or silver dime in change, you never know.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
795 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add punman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I own five coins for which I paid over $100 each so for me that is the range of expensive. For some that would be considered out of this world and for others just a moderate price to pay so "expensive" can be in the eye of the beholder. In each case, the purchase of these coins meant the completion of a set or going a long ways towards the completion of the set, so yes it was fun.

On the other hand finding a coin at face value that completes something or that has value above face - I am not going to use the word 'fun". I am going to use the word "satisfying" or "joyful". The element of surprise. I got some Canadian 50 cent pieces from a bank recently. Usually they are nickel but there was a newish circulated proof with some silver content worth about $6 for the silver content. $6 won't make me rich but the joy of the unexpected is different from the fun of paying $300 for a coin to complete a set. Anyone with lots of money can own an expensive coin. Not everyone can stumble on a "free" find no matter what their income level or financial status.

I hope all of this makes sense.
Edited by punman
01/24/2015 1:28 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19156 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me coins are a hobby. I enjoy getting them regardless of cost, value, quantity, availability, or anything else. I just collect coins.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
767 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scottk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For me coins are a hobby. I enjoy getting them regardless of cost, value, quantity, availability, or anything else. I just collect coins.

....and there ya have it.

Edited by scottk
01/24/2015 1:22 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10289 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I do have my favorites, but it's generally not driven by value.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harmonica to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both are equally fun.

Buying a hundred dollars worth of nickels and shorting out the King George's, American and 1970 Canadian are a satisfying way to spend my time wile I listen to the radio.

Then I get to go to a coin show/convention/club and be social and maybe flip a few coins are trade my money to an American member and work on my Atlantic Canadian exonumia or Newfoundland sets. They are both equal yet different.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12921 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love my $15-25 circulated coins. on occasion
I will pay much higher for better grade ones. one thing for sure; I have a lot of fun doing what I do !
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get just as excited finding that 1940's Jefferson or most recent ATB out of circulation to fill a hole in in our on going circulation albums as I do finding those elusive key date Libertads and Pandas I am always chasing. The thrill is in the hunt and the unexpected discovery.

The cost is more of a stress than an excitement.
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I should have clarified that better Lucky. By "expensive" I just mean small denomination coins selling for say... over $20.

Considering inflation, many quite expensive ancient coins can still be had below face.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05