Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Tetricus Turning Blue

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2015  12:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a tatty little Tetricus bronze which is worth about 50p and was about to be dumped into an ebay lot. However, I noticed that it is developing a blue hue. I have not noticed this with any other of my bronze coins.

I have had this coin for months, kept in a coin safe flip. Any thoughts as to what might be causing this? It was kept for a period in a room where we have a log burner, but in the flip in an album.

Photos are not meant to be in focus, but to try and capture the blue colour.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2015  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin looks like it was cleaned down to bare metal and is starting to re-tone. I would imagne the coin is not copper but rather high copper content Billon or Potin. You wouldnt be the first person to tell me coins changed colors in a room with a log burner.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2015  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can see similar on my billon drachm of Rujuvula Satrap of Chach (BC 10- AD 10)

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2015  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting Nate. I might leave a couple of other coins in the room with the burner and see if anything happens. Coin certainly looks like a bronze rather than billon, but I am no expert in these matters.
Learn More...
United States
22890 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2015  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a nice tone though.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2015  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not going to ebay now, I will see how it progresses. I will sort out a couple of other coins in different states and see how they get on. Probably the overcleaned ones will be better than those with a thick patina. We shall see, might be a new business for me. "Get your blue coins 'ere......"
Learn More...
United States
16356 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2015  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cleaned, quite harshly/retoning.

I've seen copper/bronze tone almost every color.
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2015  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shoot, I'd keep it out of the flip and on the same side of the room as the burner for a while, see what happens.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
4208 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2015  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If its been kept isolated then whatevers causing the toning is probably left over from cleaning (especially if nothing else is doing it).
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2015  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Ben, I wish I know what had been used to clean it. I plan to keep it out of the flip, in a tub with some others, burner is in the dining room so it could be caused by burning the toast in the kitchen :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2044 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2015  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gil-galad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After a harsh cleaning like that, a thin coat of oil wiped on with a soft cloth would help protect the coin. I've had to do this a couple of times when I purchased a coin that had been over cleaned.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2015  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have another one turning blue. This time an AE4 of Honorius, taken right back to the metal. Bought from a different seller, I have had it for around a year or so. I received it back yesterday after it had been on holiday to the Netherlands for several months.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05