Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2013 Fort Mchenry Quarter Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 7,111Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
921 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  11:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add aardspeed to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Curious if this is an actual error or just a shift when it was stamped OR?

It's on pretty well every letter on both sides & even on the design...

Any help would be appreciated

Pillar of the Community
United States
6443 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverStackerKid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VLDS.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47862 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your coin is showing Machine Doubling on the incuse devices. When we see machine damage/so called doubling, on the raised devices, it reduces their size. But on the incuse devices on the ATB Quarters on the outside edge are incuse, they enlarge the devices. So what you have is an example of Machine Doubling on incuse devices. The devices are raised on the die making them incuse on the coin.
An few examples of Machine Doubling on incuse design:

So die movement enlarges these devices.

On a true doubled die, these would reduce in size as illustrated by a 2013 DDR cent.
Note the raised devices:

Note the incuse devices:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  5:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nludlow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop, I just got to say, your pictures have helped me understand this a lot more than someone just using words. Thanks for your expertise and great pictures.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47862 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2015  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mollymt20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same coin curious if it's a mint error
Pillar of the Community
United States
4388 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check out coop's post above, it should help to understand what you have. It's not considered a collectible error.
Learn More...
United States
94433 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47862 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of what was seen on the above images is called metal striation lines. What does that mean? The striation lines happen because of the die movement during Machine Doubling moving. That is probably the biggest collection of metal striation lines I've seen posted. If you have a stick of warm butter, take a paring knife and hold the knife with the sharp edge held downwards. Then slide the knife parallel across the butter. This edge of the knife will leave the same lines across the top of the butter. If can be use in forensics to show the pattern of the knifes edge. This Machine Doubling rubs the edge during the strike leaving these lines on the incuse devices as seen above.

So when you see these lines, it is Machine Doubling that caused these.
Richard S. Cooper

Edited by coop
12/03/2020 11:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
coop, your the best dont know what we would do without you, thanks for all you do
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47862 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I feel taking information a little at a time, and then add just a bit more, is the best way to learn. If you get too much, then it hard to grasp. Just a little bit more, adds just the right amount.
Richard S. Cooper

Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 7,111Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05