Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Weighing An Eisenhower Dollar

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2015  2:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Do not know if this is the correct thread for this.

Now have my new 100 X .01 scales, and looking for Over weight and under weight Ikes.

Got a fairly good shot of the scale weight on this Ike. My old camera is giving me fits to get a shot (OF) the coin. To the naked eye ball, this is a BU Dollar

If I did the math correctly, it is 2.2% underweight

22.68 grams normal.

.50 grams short

.50 divided by 22.68 equals .022045

OR

22.18 divided by 22.68 equals .97795

Learn More...
United States
82381 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2015  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do not know if this is the correct thread for this.
I split it out into its own topic to broaden its attention.

There are tolerances to how much it can/should weigh. I am not sure what those tolerances are, but I know who does and hopefully they will see this and answer the question.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2015  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello jbuck.

I was giving the same thought(s) to start a new thread, and for the same reason. Broaden the exposure.

When I posted it on the IKE thread, I missed the Kennedy half dollars, possibilities.

The topic name I was thinking about was (is):

Overweight & Underweight Eisenhower and Kennedy half Dollars

I will also offer up my LOW BALL IKEs to further broaden the subject.

One question I would offer to the TPGers, is why they do NOT show the weights of PO-01 coins?

Thank you jbuck
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2015  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight tolerance for a clad Ike is 0.907g.

http://coins.about.com/library/US-C...in-Specs.htm

Google is yourmy friend. You don't think I know all this stuff off the top of my head, do you?

Any of you could "know" as much as I do with proper leverage of Google.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2015  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SsupperDdave

Quote:
Weight tolerance for a clad Ike is 0.907g.

Plus or minus .907 gives a total spread of 1.814 grams.

21,773 on the light side. 23.587 on the heavy side.

Does anyone else find this a little liberal (sloppy) for CLAD coinage.

Surely it is not so forgiving (Skimpy-Generous) on SILVER Dollars?

When you divide 1.814 by 22.68 you get .07998, which equals a whooping 7.998%

If you round to two decimal places that is 8% Good enough for GOVERNMENT work. he-he

Imagine a press operator with a fresh batch of lighter feed stock. my guess is the REEDS will be reduced, until he adjusts the distance between hammer and the anvil. That is IF he has that ability to do so.

And this brings it back around to full REEDS. Or not full REEDS.

The collar is the 3rd die. With so much given to the MS+++++ by TPGers, they are about silent on the third "FACE" of IKEs
Edited by Domain555
04/09/2015 06:19 am
Learn More...
United States
23520 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2015  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly, I think it sloppy too but there's very little metal value here. So, maybe they loosened the tolerance to make mass production easier. Or maybe the About article is wrong.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7387 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2015  09:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cascade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't kid yourself SD... Its the man behind the machine in your case
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16242 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2015  10:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The .907 gram tolerance is correct. Yes the tolerance for silver silver dollar (pre 1936) was much tighter .097 grams.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1804 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2015  08:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Domain555 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SsupperDdave

Quote:
Honestly, I think it sloppy too but there's very little metal value here. So, maybe they loosened the tolerance to make mass production easier.

There is so much attention given to the minting process, and Sooooooo much attention given to the aftermarket "stuff," TPGers, collectors, prevention of counterfeiters, etc.,

Oh well ~`~`~`
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05