Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1932 Canada 5 Cents Near Or Far 2?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2015  11:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I really have no idea on this one, any help appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
818 Posts
 Posted 04/19/2015  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgHoarder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is tougher for me to tell but if you can draw a straight line touching the bottom of the leaves on either side of the dat with the tops of the 1 and 2 then your a far two. Here's another link that may help.

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins...ts-1922-1936
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2015  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjspearsdog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks, looks like a near 2.............

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2546 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2015  04:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just look at the digit spacings and to the leaf. You don't need to draw lines.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2546 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2015  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is like the "nth" exponential rerun of this thing, but a good question that needs some remindin. If anyone is curious about the near or far 1932, first ascertain whether they are talking about the rim or the distance between the leaf and the 2. I would be extremely wary (and I do mean extremely) about purchasing any 1932 far 2 for anything even a fraction of what it is Trends or Charlton. The single individual who strove for this variety on every present or past coin site, in my opinion, used some very shaky data gathering methods and population totals to try to drive home his point. Yes, the coin is a variety, but I knew people first-hand that had more of the far 2's in their hands than what was claimed to have been found in the entire 4-5 year random search. Yes, it is not a common coin, but it is not extremely scarce either. Just do a search for "1932 far" or "1932 near" in the archives here and read to your heart's content. The easiest way to tell them apart is to look at the spacing between the 9-3 and 3-2 as well as the space between the leaf and the 2. For the more common "near leaf", the spacing will be essentially the same(the 2 is near the leaf). For the "far", the spacing betwen the 3-2 is much smaller than the 9-3 gap and the 2-leaf spacing is even further out. BTW, your coin with the great photo is the common "near" with the spacings almost all the same.
Edited by okiecoiner
04/20/2015 06:53 am
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2015  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aswag to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
cjspearsdog - Near 2

The Canadian Numismatic Company will be selling their first 1932 Far 2 in their upcoming May 8th auction (Lot 267 CCCS VG10 opening bid $100 estimate $350). It will be interesting to see how it does. This is where the rubber meets the road. It will take years to develop a solid idea of what this coin is really worth in the marketplace IMO.

Personally, I have been collecting KGV nickels for about a year and finding 1932 Far 2 is a challenge as many (but not all) collectors have already searched, pulled, and (probably) hoarded.
Bedrock of the Community
Canada
10632 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2015  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SHAFTA9a to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a variety collector but, that is great information okiecoiner..
True North
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2546 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2015  6:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shafta: The info on the "spacing" vs drawing the lines came from Zonad in posts over the last 2 years. It's much easier to see the spacing differences at arms length than trying to draw lines to see where things are. Again, I advise anyone to do an archive search here for this varioety. It's very good reading and had to be closed because words got a little terse.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
563 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2015  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Charlton Volume 1 has pictures of both varieties to help tell them apart. I have never seen the "far" 2 in the wild.
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2015  8:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aswag to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I completely agree with okiecoiner that the original discussions are very interesting. The variety is finally in Charlton as a recognized variety which was a big step.

Seeing how the variety does at auction over the next decade will be interesting.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
818 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2015  9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add AgHoarder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a new collector and also new to this site and wasn't privy to past discussions on the matter. I get much of my information from here and also other sites such as Coins and Canada etc. That is where I saw the image of the line drawn above the date. The illustration seemed very straight forward so I didn't mind passing on what I saw. Hopefully I didn't open a can of worms. Appreciate the information on the subject.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2546 Posts
 Posted 04/20/2015  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AgHoarder: No you didn't open a can of worms. There are 2 ways to ID the coin, but I think that the spacing is infintely easier than drawing lines.
Valued Member
United States
214 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2015  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aswag to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The first 1932 Far 2 auctioned by CNC sold last night for $177 CDN in a low grade CCCS VG10 ...

http://cnc.forwardsim.com/auction/8...sale/lot/267

For comparison, there is currently an ungraded 1932 Far 2 for sale on ebay with a $199.99 USD starting price and one bid already.
Valued Member
Canada
402 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2015  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add za75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As you can see on a previous topic, following a search ( 2009 to 2013 ) on several sites in Canada and USA, the trend for this variety was :

only 41 Far 2 with 6393 coins of 5 cents 1932.

The result was :

41/6393 = 0.64 % Far 2

6352/6393 = 99.36 % Near 2.

Good luck to find one.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.86 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05