Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Photo Room At Heritage Auctions In Dallas

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
3198 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2016  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Every time I visit HA.com to browse their coins it is fascinating how consistent the photos are no matter what the substrate being photographed is.

I personally would like to find out a few tips insofar as:

1) How does HA maintain a photo's resolution consistent (w/o excessive pixelation occurring) when one zooms in on a photo using an index finger-operated mouse wheel?

2) And when one does zoom in very tightly (enlarging a coin to fill up an entire laptop's screen) in this manner 'all' of the various depths of a coin's surface have perfect clarity w/o any blurriness. What process do they use to achieve this result?

3) Finally, would any of CCF's coin photography threads have proven/tested current setups and discussions (with photos and a short video of the zoom-in process) from members that have successfully replicated these cool characteristics via reasonably affordable equipment and feasible processes etc.?

mdpm...the equipment listed in the "<$350" and <$400" threads is perfectly capable of doing all of the above, or even way better. Based on what I see at the HA site, they push their aperture down until there is a little bit of diffraction blurriness, but not enough to be annoying. They also light the coin very effectively. They also likely have a fairly complex canned/proprietary post-processing routine using PhotoShop tools. But with good lighting technique, and <$350 worth of equipment, you can do just as well.
Contact me for photographic equipment or visit my home page at:
http://macrocoins.com
Brazil
4 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2018  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello,
I found this discussion really interesting. Do you know what type of lamps does HA uses for shooting?
The photos are not showing up anymore. Can you post them again?
Thanks, David.
Learn More...
United States
82516 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2018  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for bumping this thread up but I doubt the photos are retrievable. Photobucket decided to start charging for their image hosting services several months ago. Rendering thousands of pages on this website useless. Probably needless to say but if you want to post pics on this site in the future, just upload them here directly

And to CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2810 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2018  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mdpmedia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dal,

é ótimo ter você como membro CCF

translated 'it's great to have you as a CCF member.'

For starters it always made me feel more comfortable in non-US countries when I heard speaking or saw writing for the initial contact from a foreigner trying to communicate with me in English.

However, I always knew I would never, ever be proficient in anything but English but just the attempt made me feel that the other individual truly wanted to welcome me to their group.

We hope you continue on for many more posts going forward with CCF :)

Brazil
4 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  05:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jbuck, MikeF and Mdpmedia for the welcoming messages. I´m very glad of joining this group.
MikeF, I understood what you say by photobucket and I suppose the best thing to do now is trying to connect with the original poster and aks if he/she still has the photos.
David.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3365 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  07:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Search around the web, several people posted photos from those tours. Some of them will still remain.

There was I remember a whole thread spawned discussing how they did it - consensus was is was for consistency and even lighting, not beauty.
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1690 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2018  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes that is right B strauss3. a couple members here recreated that same style of photography. if you can not find the images. it can be demonstrated for you if you like.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7104 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2018  12:03 am  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are re-uploads of the photos I originally posted before photobucket killed all of them. Thankfully I did back up most of my PB account before they pulled the plug.

Only thing I have to add to my original post, is it sure makes it easy shooting to have presets on a station for each type of coin (copper, silver, gold) I would imagine they have also gone to the trouble of calibrating the cameras and have custom set-ups saved to improve work flow speed. They shoot an awfully large amount of coins every day.

"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2¢ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Pillar of the Community
United States
3198 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2018  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great! Thanks for reposting West...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4852 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2018  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Man that is some set up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9162 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2018  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Somehow I missed this the first time it was posted. Thanks for an excellent thread west and also for uploading the images again.
Thank you dal for the thread bump and to CCF!
Member SSDC, TNA
Pillar of the Community
United States
3198 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2018  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BTW this is not much different than the "diffusion at the lens" concept, but on a bigger scale...
Brazil
4 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2018  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
westcoin, thank you so much for the photos. Did you have a chance to observe what type of lamps (as well wattage) does HA uses for shooting? I wonder also if the diffusors are plastic or paper. At that distance, the lamps can´t be too hot otherwise they would be burned.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7104 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2018  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dal,
The diffusers were plastic sheeting clamped to a simple frame. Nothing special about them really, one could probably use vellum paper or similar plexiglass in translucent form. I've successfully used a cut up milk carton in the past.

I would guess (was a professional photographer for over a decade) they wattage is either 500 or 1200 watts lamps, not sure the power settings used, but probably they would vary for each different station (copper, silver or gold) and depending on how close to the windows the station is at (ambient light) there was no real control of the ambient light at all in the room which surprised me. The lamps are only at power when firing the shot, you can run them at a lower level to see shadow placement. I assume they calibrated each station, camera lens setting, that would make sense as they are trying to maintain a constant equal level and lighting for each coin they shoot, with an ultimate goal of going to their website for auction and printed catalog.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2¢ variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05