Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Replica Roman Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
2 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2015  02:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Alex Lockwood to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A few years ago I bought what I thought were two coins of the Emperor Nero. Both are stamped with 'WRL', and I wasn't sure what that meant. So I ran this though the internet. I discovered that the company, Westair Reproductions Ltd, produces replicas for coin dealers and museums. I am now very careful. I ask the seller if I can photograph the coin I'm interested in, so I can research it. They are usually OK with that. Once I am satisfied the coin is kosher, then I agree a purchase price with them.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2015  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Alex. If you are unsure of a coin, you can always post a picture and ask here.
Learn More...
United States
22894 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2015  07:46 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

Check out the Sticky section here titled "Books, downloads and websites" It has tons of useful information which will help you learn about coins before you buy them.
Learn More...
Australia
13297 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2015  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, Alex.

If you do a forum search for "WRL", you'll see that these indeed turn up quite frequently here on the forum, most often by people who have obtained/inherited one and don't know what it means either.

WRL replicas are usually sold by the museums and tourist shops in little cardboard information folders that (a) make it clear that the coins are replicas and (b) tell the historical background of the coin of which it is a copy. It is only when the coins somehow become separated from their holders that problems arise.

Of course, we've also seen the deliberately deceptive side of things, from people taking pictures of WRL replicas that are just fuzzy enough to not be able to read "WRL" clearly, to pieces where the "WRL" has actually been scratched off or overstamped with something else.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
1106 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2015  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Topcat7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alex, Welcome,
Note: WRL (Westair Reproductions Limited) is a reputable Company that does not try to pass off Replica coins as Genuine. Other sellers (of WRL coins), through ignorance or deception have been known to try to pass these coins off as 'Genuine' to the unwary or unsuspecting buyer.
Other manufacturers of Replica coins may include an 'F' (Fake) or an 'R' (Replica) or a 'C' (Copy), somewhere on the coin, where it has no right to be.
Some other manufacturers have other methods of getting around the 'Counterfeiting' laws. Some don't even try.
"Caveat Emptor" ('Buyer Beware') is always the best approach when purchasing coins, and, we've all been there.

Germany
3 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2015  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Arminius1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So far I saw these two Neros from WRL:

regards
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
688 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2015  05:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Heres my small collection of replica coins

The only 1 that makes an effort to say it is a replica is the NERO coin by WRL, none of the others have any markings to indicate they are copies
I have another that I havnt identified yet, also devoid of " copy " marks

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16649 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2015  06:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a small 'WRL' collection. The collection isn't valuable, but they are fun to collect nevertheless. All have come from dealers' junk boxes, for a dollar or so. They all go into my 'black' collection, despite the fact that I do not consider them to be fakes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2015  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if I every run into one in junk bin somewhere I'm going to pick one up.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1251 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2015  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add orfew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not mind having a few of those WRL coins.
"Cave ab homine unius libri"
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2015  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well if you are tempted by ebay offerings, make sure you don't pay too much...
http://www.westair-reproductions.co...e0c2fc8fcb27
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05